Michael Jackson’s doctor ‘tried to conceal fatal overdose’

A paramedic who tried to revive Michael Jackson has claimed that the singer’s doctor failed to mention he had given the performer the powerful anaesthetic now known to have killed him.

Richard Senneff, delivering the most damning testimony yet to emerge from the trial of Dr Conrad Murray, revealed that the physician told him Jackson “was not taking any medication” and neglected to say he had administered the drug propofol to the singer. Prosecutors cite the omission as evidence that the cardiologist has repeatedly tried to conceal his actions during the desperate struggle to save Jackson. Murray (58) is charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Senneff, the first paramedic to reach Jackson’s bedroom on June 25 2009, said he found the singer on the floor wearing a surgical cap. Jackson’s skin was turning blue and “cool to the touch” while his eyes were “open and dry”, suggesting he had been dead for some time, even though paramedics had arrived only five minutes after a 911 call stating that a 50-year-old male was suffering a cardiac arrest. Jackson appeared so underweight that Senneff deduced he might be suffering from a chronic illness.

Senneff told the court in Los Angeles that Murray was behaving in a frantic manner and that the doctor was evasive when he asked what underlying health condition Jackson had.

‘He has nothing’
“He said, ‘Nothing. He has nothing’,” Senneff told jurors. “Simply, that did not add up to me.” That, he added, was the start of several inconsistencies concerning Murray’s responses that emerged during the 42 minutes while Los Angeles paramedics tried to revive Jackson.


Murray denies involuntary manslaughter. If convicted he could face up to four years in prison and lose his medical licence. Defence lawyers claim that Jackson gave himself an extra dose of propofol after his doctor left the room. – guardian.co.uk

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday