Deadly tornadoes wreak havoc in Duduza, Ficksburg

Two children have been killed and hundreds of people left homeless as tornadoes ripped through Duduza near Johannesburg and Ficksburg in the Free State.

Mopping up operations continued in Ficksburg on Monday morning after a tornado hit the eastern Free State town at about 2pm on Sunday.

Beeld newspaper named the nine-year-old boy killed in the storm as Jama Mokhekhe, who was so far the only known casualty.

Two people were seriously injured, and dozens suffered minor injuries.

"[It] has killed one and left more than 1 000 houses destroyed," said Netcare 911 spokesperson Chris Botha.


SABC radio news reported that residents were returning to their homes on Monday morning, in attempts to reconstruct their shacks at Meqheleng township.

Those displaced had been provided with alternative accommodation.

Emergency service officials said they had never seen a storm of such magnitude.

Duduza struck
Duduza township near Nigel, east of Johannesburg was also hit on Sunday evening by a tornado that killed an eight-year-old child died and injured 166 people, an Ekurhuleni official said on Monday.

"One-hundred-and-sixty-six people were treated and transported to various nearby hospitals such as Pholosong in Tsakane and Far East Rand hospital in Springs," said Ekurhuleni spokesperson Justice Mohale in a statement.

"The … tornado that wrecked havoc in Masechaba Extension 2 in Duduza (close to Nigel), [left] an eight-year-old child dead [and] completely destroyed over 150 houses."

Emergency workers described the scene as resembling the aftermath of "a Hollywood disaster movie", he said.

The tornado struck at about 9.30pm, Ekurhuleni mayoral spokesperson Prince Hamnca said on Sunday night.

The R550 road in Nigel had been closed because of fallen trees.

Gauteng health provincial minister Ntombi Mekgwe and Ekurhuleni mayor Mondli Gungubele were on the scene, said Hamnca. — Sapa

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Taxis and Covid-19: ‘The ideal doesn’t exist’

After months of complaining about the regulations imposed on the industry, taxi owners have been given a lifeline

Mask rules are not meant to ‘criminalise’ the public

Shop owners and taxi drivers can now refuse entry to people who defy mandatory mask-wearing regulations

Ramaphosa asks all South Africans to help to avoid 50...

Calling this ‘the gravest crisis in the history of our democracy’, the president said level three lockdown remains, but enforcement will be strengthened

Reinstated Ingonyama Trust managers hit with retrenchment notices

The effect of Covid-19 and the land reform department’s freeze of R23-million because the ITB didn’t comply with budget submissions are cited as some of the reasons for the staff cuts
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday