Underwear mystery plagues Terre’Blanche trial

More police bungling became clear in the Ventersdorp High Court on Wednesday in the trial of the pair accused in Eugene Terre’Blanche’s murder.

A teenager and Chris Mahlangu (28) face charges of housebreaking, robbery with aggravating circumstances and the killing of the right-wing leader Eugene Terre’Blanche on April 3 2010. They have pleaded not guilty.

The state last week presented a strong case with many witnesses testifying that the suspects handed themselves over to police and admitted to the crime, but this week the defence counsel has found many mistakes with the way police handled the case.

On Wednesday the defence cast doubt on forensic evidence that could possibly tie the teenager to the crime.

The only evidence that may link the teenager to the murder could be swabs of DNA taken from his hands and underneath his fingernails, as no blood was found on his boots.


The DNA was taken by warrant officer Bobby Sephiphi on the night of the killing.

However, Sephiphi said under cross-examination that he did not read the minor his rights or even know about the Child Justice Act, which governs the way a suspect under the age of 18 should be treated.

The failure to comply with the Act means the defence could move to have any evidence from the DNA swabs ruled as inadmissible, advocate Norman Arendse, acting for the teenager, told the Mail & Guardian.

Not bagged
A pair of underwear hanging at the foot of the bed on which Terre’Blanche’s mutilated body was lying was discussed at length in court on Wednesday afternoon.

The teenager’s lawyer Zola Majavu attacked Sephiphi for not bagging the “blue underpant” at the scene as evidence, even though he took photos of it.

When Majavu asked the police officer if it was possible the underwear belonged to the one of the assailants, he answered: “Maybe”. Sephiphi also said he did not take swabs of what looked like semen on Terre’Blanches genitals.

Majavu told the court it was possible it could be semen but if it was, did not belong to Terre’Blanche.

On Wednesday, Mahlangu’s lawyer Kgomotoso Tlouane SC said his client would later explain why Terre’Blanche had semen on his genitals.

Tlouane added that Mahlangu would testify that he had been beaten by Terre’Blanche in a separate incident before the murder.

When this allegedly happened, the suspect — who had worked for Terre’Blanche for five months — reported the matter to the Ventersdorp police, who did nothing.

“What he realised was that the police feared Eugene Terre’Blanche and no one wanted to face him,” he said.

The trial continues.

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Evidence against Jiba ‘circumstantial at best’ — Arendse

In closing arguments, the counsel for the embattled NPA deputy has argued that the narrative of her alleged “capture” is not borne out by fact

High court found no ulterior motive when racketeering charge authorised — Jiba lawyer

The racketeering charges against Johan Booysen related to what was publicly known as the Cato Manor 'death squad'

AfriForum decries SA farm murders down under

The group’s visit comes amid a controversial Australian senate motion condemning ‘anti-white racism’

Child law centre loses SCA bid to have identities protected after child turns 18

Media houses may continue to name children involved in criminal cases after they turn 18 and 'become adults'

South African politicians resist Trump’s ‘falsehoods’ about South Africa

Deputy president David Mabuza says the US president’s comments are a ‘distortion’

Coligny murder: Farmworkers back in court

Pieter Doorewaard and Philip Schutte are accused of killing Matlhomola Moshoeu after they allegedly caught Moshoeu stealing a sunflower
Advertising

Subscribers only

SAA bailout raises more questions

As the government continues to grapple with the troubles facing the airline, it would do well to keep on eye on the impending Denel implosion

ANC’s rogue deployees revealed

Despite 6 300 ANC cadres working in government, the party’s integrity committee has done little to deal with its accused members

More top stories

Fake trafficking news targets migrants

Exaggerated reports on social media of human trafficking syndicates snatching people in broad daylight legitimate xenophobia while deflecting from the real problems in society

It’s not a ‘second wave’: Covid resurges because safety measures...

A simple model shows how complacency in South Africa will cause the number of infections to go on an upward trend again

Trouble brewing for Kenya’s coffee growers

Kenyan farmers say theft of their crop is endemic – and they suspect collusion

Unisa shortlists two candidates for the vice-chancellor job

The outgoing vice-chancellor’s term has been extended to April to allow for a smooth hand-over
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday