Gaddafi death: If only the world had listened to us, says ANC

The ANC expressed regret on Friday that the Libyan conflict could only come to end with the “gruesome killing” of Muammar Gaddafi.

“It is the view of the ANC that this could have been avoided had the African Union roadmap been adopted,” spokesperson Jackson Mthembu said.

“We are as convinced now as we were then that a peaceful approach would have saved many lives in Libya if it was given a chance.”

Mthembu said Libyans needed help in rebuilding their country after the devastation caused during the conflict.

“We believe that this challenge will require world countries to give Libyans a chance to define themselves as a unified nation … and form a government that will embrace all Libyans irrespective of where they stood in the conflict,” he said.

“Let us work together in the endeavour of healing the wounds and the creation of a platform for a new Libyan nation.”

Mthembu also called on countries under the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (Nato) command to cease their bombardment of Libya.

Gaddafi was shot dead in his hometown of Sirte on Thursday.

As news of his death spread, images of the 69-year-old former leader’s bloodied body were broadcast across the globe.

Gaddafi is the first leader to be killed in the so-called “Arab Spring” uprisings that began in the Middle East last year. — Sapa


These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Ayo report: CFO acted in the PIC’s interests

A disciplinary inquiry has cleared Matshepo More of all charges, but she remains suspended

A lifeline for the homeless people in eThekwini

eThekwini plans to retain permanent and safe open spaces for people with nowhere to sleep

Judge trashes entire lockdown regime as constitutionally flawed

The high court ruling will delight gatvol South Africans but is unlikely to stand the test of time

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday