JSC records complaint against Moseneke

A complaint has been lodged with the Judicial Service Commission (JSC) against Deputy Chief Justice Dikgang Moseneke, JSC spokesperson Dumisa Ntsebeza said on Tuesday.

“I’m informed by the JSC secretariat that a complaint of that nature has been received.”

He reportedly failed to recuse himself in a case linked to a consortium in which his brother was a director. Further details were not available from him.

Business Day reported that the complainants alleged Moseneke presided over a case and wrote the judgment in a case where his brother Tiego was a director of a company awarded a disputed tender.

The report continued that his conduct had been questioned by Brian Patrick de Lacy and Barry Beadon, owners of Cornastone e-Commerce Services.

Their complaint was about a case involving a tender to supply electronic pension and benefit payouts in the North West.

The dispute arose in 2002 when the Post Office awarded a contract to the Kumo Consortium of which Tiego Moseneke was a director, to provide payment services for the North West government with the expectation that these would be extended countrywide.

De Lacy and Beadon alleged that the tender process was fraudulent and took the matter to the South Gauteng High Court to seek damages of R60-million — profits they calculated their company would have made had it won the contract.

In 2008, the high court found the tender awarded to Kumo had been subject to fraudulent and corrupt behaviour by certain Post Office employees and awarded damages, the report continued.

This was overturned on appeal and again at the Constitutional Court.

The Post Office cancelled Kumo’s contract but Cornastone continued its efforts to obtain the tender.

Comment from Moseneke was not immediately available. Moseneke will be on long leave next year from February 15 to May 31.

The two had also unsuccessfully complained to the JSC about the appeal court’s handing of the matter. On the JSC’s advice, they made two previous applications to the Constitutional Court before this year’s unsuccessful application. — Sapa

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

Ndabeni-Abrahams lockdown debacle: What we know

The minister has to answer to the president after a picture was posted of her apparently breaking lockdown rules

Covid-19 grounds Nigeria’s medical tourists

The country’s elites, including the president, travelled abroad for treatment but now they must use the country’s neglected health system

Nehawu launches urgent court bid over protective gear for health...

The health workers’ union says the government has rebuffed its attempts to meet about mitigating risks to workers

Stay at home, Cyril said. But what about the homeless?

In Tshwane, forcing homeless people off the street resulted in chaos and the abuse of a vulnerable population. In Durban, a smooth, well-planned operation fared far better

Press Releases

Everyone’s talking about it. Even Kentucky

Earlier this year South African fried chicken fast-food chain, Chicken Licken®, launched a campaign for their wallet-friendly EasyBucks® meals, based on the idea of ‘Everyone’s talking about it.’

New energy mix on the cards

REI4P already has and will continue to yield thousands of employment opportunities

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world