Tolls petition will be concluded in two weeks

A joint petition against the planned Gauteng highway tolling system will be sent to Transport Minister Sibusiso Ndebele within 14 days, the Gauteng Legislature said on Monday.

Spokesperson Sithembele Tshwete said the organisations behind the petition included the Congress of South African Trade Unions, the SA National Civic Organisation, the SA National NGO Coalition, the SA Transport and Allied Workers Union and the Democratic Alliance.

A public hearing in Johannesburg on Friday heard several bodies and members of the public calling for the tolling system to be scrapped.

The petition would form part of a campaign to resist the tolling system set to come into effect in February.

Tshwete said the Gauteng Legislature would organise a meeting between the provincial transport department and the petitioners to discuss the development of public transport.


Smooth process
It would also table a report on last week’s hearing to be debated in the legislature.

The African National Congress caucus in the Gauteng Legislature said in a statement that submissions made at the public hearing would help find a solution that favoured all those concerned.

Chief whip Brian Hlongwa thanked the petitions committee led by Jacob Khawe for a smooth process and Gauteng residents for participating.

“The contributions will also assist immensely, members of the house to debate on informed views and submissions, should the matter be proposed for debate in the house again.”

On Friday, the Gauteng petition standing committee heard that the high cost of the tolls would increase the costs of doing business in the province.

Workers affected most
It also heard how the SA National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral) continued to register motorists for electronic tolling tags while public hearings were still underway.

Cosatu’s Gauteng secretary Dumisani Dakile said during the hearing the tolls would affect workers the most.

“Already, some companies have indicated that should the tolls be implemented they are going to retrench workers.”

Dakile said Cosatu was prepared to take to the streets to have its demands met. — Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Under Mbali Ntuli the DA would offer South Africans a new political home

The KwaZulu-Natal MPL, who is running against John Steenhuisen for the post as party leader, embodies the hopes and dreams of the majority of citizens

Calling South African conservatives…

We’ve tried leftism for long enough and what we have to show for it is corruption and mismanagement, when what we need is jobs and education. Is it time to try out a Mashaba-esque version of right-wing politics?

ANC’s ‘moral crisis’ will foil W Cape hope

Former premier Ebrahim Rasool says voters will abandon the party until corruption is arrested

Eusebius McKaiser: The DA’s next leader should have a diverse political toolkit

But in the battle of John and Mbali, the way things are going, the party will crucify the better option

Mmusi Maimane doesn’t want DA’s political ‘superstars’

The leader of the new One South Africa Movement says his former party has set itself on a course away from multiracialism after its recent policy conference

No mass DA exodus, for now

Despite growing disgruntlement and a string of high-profile resignations, often by black members, DA rank and file don’t appear to be jumping ship
Advertising

Subscribers only

SAA bailout raises more questions

As the government continues to grapple with the troubles facing the airline, it would do well to keep on eye on the impending Denel implosion

ANC’s rogue deployees revealed

Despite 6 300 ANC cadres working in government, the party’s integrity committee has done little to deal with its accused members

More top stories

It’s not a ‘second wave’: Covid resurges because safety measures...

A simple model shows how complacency in South Africa will cause the number of infections to go on an upward trend again

Unisa shortlists two candidates for the vice-chancellor job

The outgoing vice-chancellor’s term has been extended to April to allow for a smooth hand-over

How US foreign policy under Donald Trump has affected Africa

Lesotho has been used as a microcosm in this article to reflect how the foreign policy has affected Africa

Trouble brewing for Kenya’s coffee growers

Kenyan farmers say theft of their crop is endemic – and they suspect collusion
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday