Cosatu to turn Gauteng’s streets red over tolls

The Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) said on Thursday it would proceed with mass action at the end of February next year against the implementation of the Gauteng tolling system.

Speaking at a media briefing, Cosatu secretary general Zwelinzima Vavi said the federation would issue a final notice in Nedlac that would give it the right to a protected strike.

“In the meantime, we are urging people not to buy e-tags and, if the tolls have not been scrapped, we will be encouraging motorists to drive through the tolls without paying.

“In this act of civil disobedience, we shall not present ourselves to the courts and will not pay fines imposed for merely using public roads that shall remain a public route,” Vavi stated.

Turning Gauteng red
Last week Cosatu threatened to “turn the streets of Gauteng red” and protest to have the planned tolls in the province scrapped.


Workers were at the losing end of the tolls, Cosatu official Dumisani Dakile told the Gauteng petition standing committee in Johannesburg.

He said some companies had already indicated that they would retrench workers if the tolls were implemented next year due to costs of business increasing.

“We heard that Sanral is already registering tags for tolling while this [hearing] process is taking place. It must be called into order,” he said, referring to the South African National Roads Agency Limited.

“To make matters worse, Sanral started with the open road tolling, which is a modernised privatisation of public roads. With this system Sanral aims to force people to use public transport which is currently inadequate.”

‘One tax too many’
Dakile called for the scrapping of the tolls and the disbandment of Sanral.

“If it takes turning the streets red, Cosatu is prepared to do so,” he said. Other petitioners present have pledged to join Cosatu’s protests.

Members of the public have called for the scrapping of the planned tolls set to come into effect in February.

Commuter Tshepiso Makeleng told a public hearing in Johannesburg that he worked as a consultant and travelled about 200km a day to meet clients around Gauteng.

He said he would end up paying too much from his commission-only income and asked for the tolls to be scrapped.

Scrap the tolls
The South African National Civic Organisation said long queues at taxi ranks were an indication that there were not enough minibuses to transport Gauteng commuters.

Democratic Alliance Gauteng MPL Jack Bloom brought a Sanral advertisement to the hearing to show that it was continuing with plans to implement the tolls even before public hearings had been concluded.

He called on the legislature to reflect the views of Gauteng motorists and scrap the tolls, which will cost between R0.40/km and R2/km, depending on the class of vehicle.

“These tolls are one tax too many,” Bloom said.

Addressing concerns
Gauteng transport MEC Ismail Vadi acknowledged concerns raised by petitioners, particularly about the lack of consultation.

He said it was of concern that Sanral was going ahead with toll plans while public hearings were still underway.

However, he said his department did not have the power to address these concerns.

Vadi said he could only communicate them to the national transport department.

The hearings continue. — I-Net Bridge, Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

‘Worker safety nets inadequate’

With large-scale job losses on the horizon here and around the world, the Covid- 19 pandemic has put the vulnerability of workers in sharp focus

‘Protect your workers’ against coronavirus

The labour department has called on employers to implement measures to minimise threat of Covid-19 to South Africa’s workforce

Bring ‘empathy’ back to Nedlac

Lisa Seftel started out in the labour movement before she took up positions in government. Now, as the head of Nedlac, she has to create a space where both sides can meet to discuss and debate important policy issues

One strike and you’re out – registrar tells unions

A municipal workers’ union is the first to be sanctioned for not following the new rule when deciding whether to go on strike

Cosatu has a plan to save Eskom

The union federation says urgent, bold action is needed to keep the state-owned utility (and South Africa) going

2019: The ones who left us

From Uyinene Mrwetyana, Oliver Mtukudzi to Xolani Gwala, Mail & Guardian remembers those who have passed on
Advertising

Subscribers only

FNB dragged into bribery claims

Allegations of bribery against the bank’s chief executive, Jacques Celliers, thrown up in a separate court case

Dozens of birds and bats perish in extreme heat in...

In a single day, temperatures in northern KwaZulu-Natal climbed to a lethal 45°C, causing a mass die-off of birds and bats

More top stories

North West premier goes off the rails

Supra Mahumapelo ally Job Mokgoro’s defiance of party orders exposes further rifts in the ANC

Construction sites are a ‘death trap’

Four children died at Pretoria sites in just two weeks, but companies deny they’re to blame

Why the Big Fish escape the justice net

The small fish get caught. Jails are used to control the poor and disorderly and deflect attention from the crimes of the rich and powerful.

Koko claims bias before Zondo commission

In a lawyer’s letter, the former Eskom chief executive says the commission is not being fair to him
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…