Presidential adviser Zizi Kodwa is suing Police Minister Nathi Mtethwa and acting national police commissioner Lieutenant-General Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi for R5-million after he was wrongfully arrested, it was reported on Wednesday.
Kodwa was stopped and arrested by police in Rosebank, Johannesburg on November 11 on suspicion of drunk driving.
Police spokesperson Brigadier Neville Malila told the Star newspaper that police received blood results from a test taken on the night, and it confirmed that there was no alcohol in Kodwa’s system.
Kodwa’s lawyer Gugulethu Madlanga said Kodwa was pursuing the suit and a summons would be issued in 30 days.
On Tuesday Kodwa took to social media site Twitter to express his views.
“Blood sample results are back, alcohol in my blood: ZERO, I told them banyile ngekhe ndibayeke [They are in shit, I won’t let it go],” he tweeted.
Last week Kodwa said: “I want to clear my name. They [the blood tests] will come out negative. I have no doubt about that. It’s not about my role in the presidency. It’s about my reputation.
“I want to protect South Africans from abuse of authority by police officers.”
Kodwa said he believed his arrest was about a “bribe not paid”.
He was scheduled to face the drunk driving charge at the Hillbrow Magistrate’s Court on May 11. — Sapa