Premier denies plotting to dethrone President Zuma

KwaZulu-Natal premier Zweli Mkhize has again denied being part of a “plot” to oust President Jacob Zuma as the leader of the ANC, after last year being linked to rumours of a plan to install Human Settlement Minister Tokyo Sexwale as the ruling party’s president.

IOL.co.za reported on Sunday that Mkhize has also scoffed at persistent rumours that he would soon leave office and take up a diplomatic post in New Zealand.

According to the report, Mkhize reaffirmed his support for the ANC president “now and all the way” to the party’s elective conference to be held in Mangaung in December — ending months of speculation about a “fallout” between Mkhize and Zuma.

In April last year, the Sunday Independent reported that it had seen a document that allegedly emanated from a covert intelligence investigation into the police’s suspended police national commissioner, General Bheki Cele.

The 22-page document reportedly claimed that Cele had dumped Zuma in favour of the future leadership of human settlement Minister Tokyo Sexwale, the paper reported.

Cele has since been suspended for his role in the police leasing scandal last year.

The newspaper reported that Sexwale led a group that wanted to oust Zuma during an ANC conference next year.

The group was said to include, among others, ANC Youth League leader Julius Malema, ANC national treasurer Mathews Phosa, ANC national executive members Fikile Mbalula, Jeff Radebe, Paul Mashatile, David Mabuza, Cassel Mathale, Thandi Modise, Enoch Godongwana, Bathabile Dlamini and Tony Yengeni.

“There is no way we could plot to remove Zuma. We worked hard for him to be there,” Mkhize said at the time. — Sapa

PW Botha wagged his finger and banned us in 1988 but we stood firm. We built a reputation for fearless journalism, then, and now. Through these last 35 years, the Mail & Guardian has always been on the right side of history.

These days, we are on the trail of the merry band of corporates and politicians robbing South Africa of its own potential.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

‘My biggest fear was getting the virus and dying in...

South African Wuhan evacuee speaks about his nine-week ordeal

Border walls don’t stop viruses, but a blanket amnesty might

Why South Africa should consider amnesty for undocumented migrants in the time of the coronavirus outbreak.

Mail & Guardian needs your help

Our job is to help give you the information we all need to participate in building this country, while holding those in power to account. But now the power to help us keep doing that is in your hands

Press Releases

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders

Dimension Data launches Saturday School in PE

The Gauteng Saturday School has produced a number of success stories