Bacher to explain alleged bonus payment in inquiry

Former SA cricket chief Ali Bacher is expected to explain the alleged payment of R5-million in bonuses when the Sports Ministry’s inquiry into cricket resumes in Pretoria on Tuesday.

Cricket SA (CSA) CEO Gerald Majola pointed fingers at Bacher in December, telling the committee that the former United Cricket Board general manager had pocketed R5-million after the 2003 Cricket World Cup, which was hosted by South Africa.

Bacher accepted a request from the committee, chaired by Judge Chris Nicholson, to give a verbal statement and he will face the inquiry on Monday afternoon.

John Bester, the CSA finance committee chairperson, is scheduled to appear in the morning, and Norman Arendse, a former CSA president, will give his verbal submission on Tuesday.

The Sports Ministry said “more days and witnesses” could be added to the schedule.


Bonus payments not fully declared
The committee received over 30 written submissions and interviewed 20 or more witnesses last year.

Nicholson said after the inquiry adjourned in December for six weeks, that the committee would analyse the evidence, which included over 5 000 pages of written documents.

After further submissions this week, a final report would be handed to Sport and Recreation Minister Fikile Mbalula by the end of February.

Mbalula was not obliged to accept the committee’s recommendations.

The Nicholson inquiry was announced by Mbalula after auditing firm KPMG recommended that CSA’s remuneration and travel allowance policy be reviewed.

A KPMG audit found that bonus payments to staff had not been fully declared to the federation’s remuneration committee, and that Majola had breached the Companies Act on at least four occasions. –Sapa

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Taxis and Covid-19: ‘The ideal doesn’t exist’

After months of complaining about the regulations imposed on the industry, taxi owners have been given a lifeline

Mask rules are not meant to ‘criminalise’ the public

Shop owners and taxi drivers can now refuse entry to people who defy mandatory mask-wearing regulations

Ramaphosa asks all South Africans to help to avoid 50...

Calling this ‘the gravest crisis in the history of our democracy’, the president said level three lockdown remains, but enforcement will be strengthened

Reinstated Ingonyama Trust managers hit with retrenchment notices

The effect of Covid-19 and the land reform department’s freeze of R23-million because the ITB didn’t comply with budget submissions are cited as some of the reasons for the staff cuts
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday