March in Hong Kong against ‘preferential Chinese births’

Pregnant women and mothers pushing strollers were among more than 1 500 protesters who took to the streets in Hong Kong on Sunday to oppose the growing number of mainland Chinese giving birth in the city.

Women from mainland China are keen to have babies in Hong Kong — which has had semi-autonomous status since it ceased to be a British colony in 1997 — because it entitles their children to rights of abode and education.

“We have to compete with the mainlanders for bed space in hospitals, for prenatal care services, postnatal care, the education of our children … everything,” said expectant mother Joyce Wong (30), who took part in the march to government headquarters.

Jenny Yeung, a paediatric nurse (41), accused the city’s government of being “incompetent” and said it “should prioritise Hong Kong people over non-locals”.

Meanwhile on Sunday, chief executive of the Hong Kong’s Hospital Authority Leung Pak-yin said some public hospitals have stopped accepting bookings by mainland mothers wishing to give birth in the city.

Hong Kong has reduced its quota for the number of mainland women allowed to give birth in its public hospitals this year. Leung said the government has yet to set the quota for 2013 but emphasised there will be another reduction.

The government has come under pressure after doctors made a rare public call for a cap on the number of babies delivered in the city because resources for local mothers are being stretched. –Sapa-AFP

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.


Advertising

Ayo report: CFO acted in the PIC’s interests

A disciplinary inquiry has cleared Matshepo More of all charges, but she remains suspended

A lifeline for the homeless people in eThekwini

eThekwini plans to retain permanent and safe open spaces for people with nowhere to sleep

Judge trashes entire lockdown regime as constitutionally flawed

The high court ruling will delight gatvol South Africans but is unlikely to stand the test of time

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday