Three arrested for R42m Post Bank theft

Three people, allegedly part of a syndicate involved in the theft of R42-million from the Postbank, have been arrested, the South African Post Office (Sapo) said on Monday.

Sapo spokesperson Lungile Lose said two were Post Office employees.

“We can confirm that they were arrested last week following an internal investigation.”

He said a task team, forensic experts as well as Sapo staff were responsible for catching the three.

“Appreciation should be given to employees who are committed to uprooting corruption in the South African Post Office,” he said.

The theft occurred between January 1 and January 3, and was allegedly committed by a syndicate with knowledge of the Post Office’s information technology system.

The syndicate opened several Postbank accounts across the country late last year and during the New Year holiday period gained access to a Rustenburg Post Office employee’s computer and made deposits from other accounts into its own.

Over the next three days, automated teller machines in Gauteng, Free State and KwaZulu-Natal were used to withdraw cash from the accounts.

Lose said the three did not reveal who the other members of the syndicate were. He was unsure when they would appear in court.—Sapa

.

Client Media Releases

Fedgroup drives industry reform in unclaimed benefits sector
Hardworking students win big at architecture awards
VUT presents 2019 registration introduction
Vocational training: good start to great career