Acsa bags Brazil airport expansion bid

The Airports Company South Africa (Acsa) has won a bid for the expansion, maintenance and operation of Guarulhos, Brazil’s busiest airport.

“[This] will enhance Acsa’s brand and better position it in the market place as a serious participant in global airport investment and management,” Acsa’s acting managing director Bongani Maseko said in a statement.

“We managed to secure an opportunity in India a few years ago; we now have Brazil and are pursuing similar ventures in Africa.”

Acsa won 51% of the concession and Infraero, a company from Brazil, the remaining 49%.

Acsa said it would provide airport management through a technical service agreement.

Some of the tasks included preparing detailed operational plans for the 2013 Fifa Confederations Cup, the Pope’s visit for the World Youth Day in 2013, and the 2014 Fifa World Cup.

The concession is for a 20-year period.

“In addition to the investment return on capital contributions, Acsa will be paid airport management fees,” said Maseko.

“The next step is for the consortium partners to finalise the signing of the concession and other related agreements by May 2012.”

Transport Minister Sibusiso Ndebele’s office congratulated Acsa on the win.


“This is, indeed, exciting news for South Africa and our continent,” ministerial spokesperson Logan Maistry said. — Sapa

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Two dead in new ANC KwaZulu-Natal killings

A Mtubatuba councillor and a Hammarsdale ANC Youth League leader were shot yesterday near their homes

Inside Facebook’s big bet on Africa

New undersea cables will massively increase bandwidth to the continent

No back to school for teachers just yet

Last week the basic education minister was adamant that teachers will return to school on May 25, but some provinces say not all Covid-19 measures are in place to prevent its spread

Engineering slips out of gear at varsity

Walter Sisulu University wants to reprioritise R178-million that it stands to give back to treasury after failing to spend it
Advertising

Press Releases

Coexisting with Covid-19: Saving lives and the economy in India

A staggered exit from the lockdown accompanied by stepped-up testing to cover every district is necessary for India right now

What Africa can learn from Cuba in combating the Covid-19 pandemic

Africa should abandon the neoliberal path to be able to deal with Covid-19 and other health system challenges likely to emerge in future

Road to recovery for the tourism sector: The South African perspective

The best-case scenario is that South Africa's tourism sector’s recovery will only begin in earnest towards the end of this year

Covid-19: Eased lockdown and rule of law Webinar

If you are arrested and fined in lockdown, you do get a criminal record if you pay the admission of guilt fine

Covid-19 and Frontline Workers

Who is caring for the healthcare workers? 'Working together is how we are going to get through this. It’s not just a marathon, it’s a relay'.

PPS webinar Part 2: Small business, big risk

The risks that businesses face and how they can be dealt with are something all business owners should be well acquainted with

Call for applications for the position of GCRO executive director

The Gauteng City-Region Observatory is seeking to appoint a high-calibre researcher and manager to be the executive director and to lead it

DriveRisk stays safe with high-tech thermal camera solution

Itec Evolve installed the screening device within a few days to help the driver behaviour company become compliant with health and safety regulations