Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Prosecutors ‘want Malema expelled’

The prosecution in ANC Youth League (ANCYL) president Julius Malema’s mitigation hearing have argued that he should be expelled from the party, reported the Sunday Times.

The prosecution was reported to have stated on Thursday that Malema should be expelled from the ruling party because he had shown no remorse for his comments and actions.

Malema argued in mitigation that statements made leading to his suspension were not his personal views but that of the ANCYL’s national executive committee (NEC), reported the newspaper.

On February 4, the ANC’s appeals committee announced that attempts by Malema, league spokesperson Floyd Shivambu, and secretary general Sindiso Magaqa and three other ANCYL officials to have the guilty verdicts against them overturned had been dismissed.

They were found guilty in November last year of bringing the ANC into disrepute and of sowing division in the party.

This was after they made comments about regime change in Botswana, undermined Public Enterprises Minister Malusi Gigaba’s authority, insulted a journalist, and compared President Jacob Zuma unfavourably to his predecessor Thabo Mbeki.

‘Political solution’
Meanwhile, the youth league continues to hold out for some kind of “political solution” for its leaders.

The league held a press conference on Thursday at which Malema, Magaqa and Shivambu were conspicuous by their absence as they were attending the disciplinary hearing.

As the Mail & Guardian reported last week, the youth league said it would not entertain discussion about who would replace Malema should he be expelled, insisting it would retain his leadership until the next conference in June 2014.

“No leader of the ANC Youth League which has been mandated by the national congress will resign their position until the next congress,” the league said in a statement read by deputy president Ronald Lamola. “There is no constitutional basis for the ANC Youth League that allows for removal of leadership of the organisation through a process that does not include the structures and members of the ANC Youth League,” the statement read.

Earlier, there was speculation that Malema would be replaced by his deputy, Lamola, or the league’s treasurer general, Pule Mabe. – Sapa and Staff reporter

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Tourism industry hopeful of UK red list review

Meeting between scientists of both countries may pave way for removal from red list

R350 social relief grant not enough to live on

Nearly half of the population in South Africa — one of the most unequal countries in the world — is considered chronically poor.

More top stories

Tourism industry hopeful of UK red list review

Meeting between scientists of both countries may pave way for removal from red list

Triple murder in Khayelitsha investigated by police

Three young women have been shot dead execution-style in one of Cape Town’s gang-riddled communities

Q&A Sessions: Kagiso Rabada — ‘When I retire, I will...

Kagiso Rabada talks to Eyaaz Matwadia about his love for music and production, how the lockdown affected him, and how he hopes to get back to his best

State to subpoena and fact-check Agrizzi’s ‘illness’ claims

The National Prosecuting Authority will conduct its own probe into Angelo Agrizzi’s claims of ill health, after he failed to attend court again
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×