Some Thembelihle pupils find schools, while others wait

The majority of Thembelihle learners who were without schools four weeks ago have been placed, but 10 unlucky learners are still struggling to find a school that could take them in.

After the Mail & Guardian reported that over 50 learners were battling to find schools, district officials stepped in and managed to place most in schools located in the neighbouring Lenasia.

The placement project gained momentum on January 31, when district officials went from school to school to find classes for learners. According to Siphiwe Mbatha — a community leader who has been helping parents enrol their children — learners in grades eight, nine and 10,who were a minority, were not placed. He said the officials promised to facilitate their enrolments, but “they have not responded to learners and their parents since then”.

Five of the learners were due to start grade one. Mbatha told the M&G four of them were not placed on January 31 because their parents did not attend a community meeting that was preceded by the district officials’ placement campaign. One recently returned from a rural area.

“That day we dealt with remaining grade one learners. We were supposed to have 11, but seven were available for placements,” Mbatha said.

An unemployed parent said she missed phone calls from Mbatha on the day. “They called my husband, but he denies they called him,” she said. The parent added that she applied for placement only in January, because she had initially planned that her son would study back home in the Eastern Cape.

The M&G met Florence Tau, a grade 10 learner still without a school, in Thembelihle on Monday afternoon. In full school uniform, Tau had just returned from a district office to inquire if they can place her in Trinity Secondary School. “Since January 16, when schools reopened, I’ve been up and down looking for a school,” she said.

Tau, who decided to move from Moses Maren Technical School, a school many Thembelihle learners shuttle to by bus, said she was turned away from Azara Secondary because it was full. “They told me it was full. It’s really full. We can’t blame the school. Azara’s classes have between 43 and 44 learners, they showed me the list,” she said and admitted that she only applied for a place in January.

Grade 10 learners Refilwe Chobeka and Khoboso Mokhethi who were not in school in 2011 are among the excluded group. The teenagers, from the North West and Lesotho respectively, arrived in Thembelihle early last year.

Late applications led to their exclusion in 2011, but now they have proof that they applied on time for this school year. District officials promised to handle their enrolment and claimed the two are “special cases” but they are yet to do that, said Mbatha.

“Chobeka applied for admission in August last year and has documents to show that she applied early. But the school didn’t accept her, claiming it was full,” Mbatha said.

Mokhethi’s report card from a Lesotho school is believed to be behind her exclusion. Mbatha said the school she applied to for admission was confused as to whether it should place her in grade seven or grade 10. District officials promised to resolve this.

The M&G is aware of two grade eight learners also still not in school, more than a month after schools reopened. Mbatha said they want to ensure all learners are enrolled to avoid the repeat of last year, when some learners were left out for the entire year due to admission problems.

The provincial education department was unavailable for comment.

PW Botha wagged his finger and banned us in 1988 but we stood firm. We built a reputation for fearless journalism, then, and now. Through these last 35 years, the Mail & Guardian has always been on the right side of history.

These days, we are on the trail of the merry band of corporates and politicians robbing South Africa of its own potential.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

In East Africa, the locusts are coming back for more

In February the devastating locust swarms were the biggest seen in East Africa for 70 years. Now they’re even bigger

Western Cape Judge Mushtak Parker faces second misconduct complaint

The Cape Bar Council says his conduct is ‘unbecoming the holding of judicial office’

‘My biggest fear was getting the virus and dying in...

South African Wuhan evacuee speaks about his nine-week ordeal

Border walls don’t stop viruses, but a blanket amnesty might

Why South Africa should consider amnesty for undocumented migrants in the time of the coronavirus outbreak.

Press Releases

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders

Dimension Data launches Saturday School in PE

The Gauteng Saturday School has produced a number of success stories