Zimplats’ call for extension denied

Zimbabwe has rejected a request by platinum miner Zimplats to extend a deadline to hand over a nearly 30% stake under a contentious equity law, in a letter seen on Wednesday by Agence France-Presse.

Indigenisation Minister Saviour Kasukwere gave Zimplats, the local unit of South Africa’s Impala Platinum, a two-week ultimatum on February 22 to sell a 29.5% stake to locals or risk nationalisation.

“You are advised that your request for a 30-day extension has been rejected by the honourable minister and your company is expected to comply with the law,” his ministry said in a letter to Zimplats boss Alex Mhembere.

The two-week deadline is due on Wednesday and Kasukwere has threatened to seize the shares if no deal is reached.

“Companies that refuse to comply will leave us with no option but to take them over. The law is clear on that one,” he told Parliament two weeks ago.

Development funds
The government initially gave foreign companies up to September last year to hand in plans on how they intended to sell 51% stakes to locals.

The deadline was later extended to allow negotiations with companies that offered to give shares in the form of development funds in the local communities.

Mimosa Holdings, a Zimplats joint venture with Aquarius Platinum, last month took a step toward complying with the law. It put $2-million into a community trust fund meant to repair roads and provide clean water for residents near the mine.

But so far Zimplats has not been able to reach a deal for overall compliance, with parts of its plan rejected last month.

The local shareholding programme is one of the more contentious issues in the unity government of long-ruling President Robert Mugabe and Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai.


Tsvangirai has said the indigenisation drive will push away foreign investment, just as the country is recovering from a decade-long economic collapse. — Sapa-AFP

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Ayo report: CFO acted in the PIC’s interests

A disciplinary inquiry has cleared Matshepo More of all charges, but she remains suspended

A lifeline for the homeless people in eThekwini

eThekwini plans to retain permanent and safe open spaces for people with nowhere to sleep

Judge trashes entire lockdown regime as constitutionally flawed

The high court ruling will delight gatvol South Africans but is unlikely to stand the test of time

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday