Majola suspended

Cricket South Africa (CSA) chief executive Gerald Majola was suspended on Saturday.

The decision was taken by CSA’s board of directors during a meeting in Johannesburg.

This was after a ministerial inquiry, headed by retired judge Chris Nicholson, found the board had failed to take appropriate action against Majola for alleged financial misconduct.

Nicholson recommended that Majola be suspended for 180 days pending the conclusion of a disciplinary inquiry and that the board should be restructured and downsized to consist of a majority of independent, professionally skilled, non-executive directors.

In the inquiry Nicholson found that “Majola had surreptitiously negotiated the payment of bonuses with the IPL in a meeting in London during June of 2009. These were paid with the monthly payroll run of CSA on July 22 2009 and the relevant employees’ taxes were deducted.”


The report also found that Majola had “failed to inform [then-CSA president Mtutuzeli] Nyoka of his own negotiated bonus, as arranged with the IPL and also refrained from providing Nyoka and members of the [CSA’s] remuneration committee with the schedule of payments relating to the IPL agreement, thereby misleading Nyoka in the process.”

It was established that Majola received a bonus of R1 131 062 while chief operating officer Don McIntosh took home R797 999.

Majola told the inquiry last year that he had no say in the bonus amounts, which he contended was done by McIntosh.

The inquiry found that “overwhelming evidence, however, indicates that Majola [and not McIntosh] was the dominating force behind the allocation of the bonuses and not an unwilling recipient as he sought to portray himself”. — Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Covid-overflow hospital in ruins as SIU investigates

A high-level probe has begun into hundreds of millions of rand spent by the Gauteng health department to refurbish a hospital that is now seven months behind schedule – and lying empty

Q&A Sessions: ‘I should have fought harder for SA vaccine’...

Professor Salim Abdool Karim talks to Nicolene de Wee about his responsibility as head of the ministerial advisory committee tasked with guiding the government’s response to the Covid-19 pandemic.

More top stories

Children may benefit when parents share their digital gaming...

Digital games can provide forums for diverse groups of people to come together, which is especially important while our physical activities are restricted

‘No one took us seriously’: Black cops warned about racist...

Allegations of racism against the Capitol Police are nothing new: Over 250 Black cops have sued the department since 2001. Some of those former officers now say it’s no surprise white nationalists were able to storm the building

Pay-TV inquiry probes the Multichoice monopoly

Africa’s largest subscription television operator says it is under threat amid the emerging popularity of global platforms like Netflix and Amazon Prime

​No apology or comfort as another Marikana mother dies without...

Nomawethu Ma’Bhengu Sompeta, whose funeral will be held this weekend, was unequivocal in calling out the government for its response to the Marikana massacre
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…