South Sudan accuses Khartoum of fresh attacks

South Sudan on Sunday accused Sudan of launching fresh attacks along their disputed border, stalling peace talks in Addis Ababa, a senior South Sudanese official said.

“We are here … to attempt to make peace; the Government of Sudan is waging war on South Sudan,” Juba’s chief negotiator Pagan Amum told journalists.

“The government of Sudan is bombing us as we speak,” said Amum, who reported fresh battles in the towns of Manga and Panakuach in Unity State, where fighting broke out last Monday.

He said talks were stalled after the North accused the South of invading its territory, which Amum said was “categorically untrue”.

Amum added the North was planning further attacks along the disputed border.

“We are privy to intelligence that Sudan is planning an imminent invasion of Unity State,” he told reporters, adding that South Sudan would exercise its right to defend its territory if necessary.

“The government of South Sudan has the sovereign right to protect itself,” he said.

Delegations from both countries are in the Ethiopian capital to discuss security issues. By the end of the first day of negotiations on Saturday, security talks between the lead negotiators had not yet started.

Security delegation
Amum said the North failed to send the head of its security delegation.

“The meeting was supposed to take place yesterday but he has not come for reasons known to them,” Amum said, referring to the chief of Khartoum’s security delegation. He accused the North of trying to “derail” the peace talks.


Ongoing peace efforts were threatened by fresh violence in Unity State this week, prompting Khartoum to call off a meeting of the South’s President Salva Kiir with his northern counterpart Omar al-Bashir that had been scheduled for April 3 in Juba.

South Sudan’s foreign minister said Kiir was willing to meet Bashir despite this week’s incidents and said they would not object to meeting in another location.

“If [al-Bashir] has any objection to meeting in any place other than Juba, we have no problem meeting him anywhere else,” Nhial Deng Nhial said.

When asked whether negotiations are slated to proceed, Amum said only that his government “calls on the parties” to return to the negotiating table to seek a negotiated peaceful solution to the conflict [and] conclude an immediate ceasefire.” — Sapa-AFP

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Judge trashes entire lockdown regime as constitutionally flawed

The high court ruling will delight gatvol South Africans but is unlikely to stand the test of time

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday