Kaizer Chiefs sack Vermezovic

Premiership title contenders Kaizer Chiefs have parted ways with head coach Vladimir Vermezovic, with seven league games left in the season.

The club said on its website on Thursday the Serb’s contract had been terminated by mutual consent.

“At a meeting held today … it was agreed to part ways with immediate effect, in order to allow both parties to prepare for the new season in good time,” the club said.

Former assistant coach Ace Khuse would take charge on an interim basis for the remainder of the season.

Vermezovic (48) played two games for the Yugoslavian national team in 1985.

He turned out for five European clubs during a 15-year professional playing career, including Partizan Belgrade and Hannover.

In a managerial career that started in 2000, Vermezovic coached a number of European sides before he joined Chiefs in 2009.

He guided Amakhosi to two Telkom Knockout trophies and the final of the 2011 MTN8 cup competition.

Chiefs are currently lying fourth in the Premiership, six points behind leaders Mamelodi Sundowns.

The Soweto giants face Free State Stars in the Nedbank Cup quarterfinals in Polokwane on Saturday. — Sapa


These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Ayo report: CFO acted in the PIC’s interests

A disciplinary inquiry has cleared Matshepo More of all charges, but she remains suspended

A lifeline for the homeless people in eThekwini

eThekwini plans to retain permanent and safe open spaces for people with nowhere to sleep

Judge trashes entire lockdown regime as constitutionally flawed

The high court ruling will delight gatvol South Africans but is unlikely to stand the test of time

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday