Bahrain Grand Prix dogged by night-long clashes

Force India team mulled pulling out of a Bahrain Grand Prix practice session on Friday after a night of clashes between security forces and protesters in Shi’ite villages that left several people wounded.

The team were considering curtailing practice in order to return to their hotel before dark, deputy team principal Bob Fearnley told Autosport magazine.

He said the team might leave early on Friday but would not miss qualification on Saturday afternoon or the race itself on Sunday.

World championship leader Lewis Hamilton topped the times for McLaren in Friday morning’s opening free practice session, while Force India’s young driver Paul Di Resta, a fellow Briton, was third fastest.

Silverstone-based Force India was rattled on Wednesday evening when four of its mechanics, in a car returning to their hotel from the circuit, were caught up in violent incidents involving protesters and the police.


A petrol bomb exploded close to their vehicle and they had to evade tear gas.

The incident prompted one team member, not involved in the incident, and a contractor hired by the team, to return home despite official assurances that Bahrain was safe. Nobody was injured.

Official assurances
Fresh violence broke out overnight in Shi’ite villages located far from the race’s Sakhir circuit where practice sessions started at 7am GMT and rumbled on until early Friday, witnesses said.

“Eighteen people were wounded” when security forces fired buckshot and tear gas to disperse protesters, said the president of the Bahrain Youth Society for Human Rights, Mohammed Maskati.

“The people want to topple the regime,” dozens of protesters shouted as they carried pictures of jailed hunger striker Abdulhadi al-Khawaja. “Down Hamad,” they cried, referring to Bahrain’s king, according to witnesses.

Met by tear gas, sound bombs and buckshot, the protesters hurled petrol bombs at security forces, witnesses said. Maskati said he was a participant in a march in Bani Jamra village where tear gas was fired at activists.

The protests were “a message to those taking part in the F1 race to bring their attention to human rights violations in Bahrain,” Maskati said, adding that “95 people have been arrested since April 14” in the runup to the event.

The protesters burned tyres, briefly blocking several main roads leading to the Sakhir circuit, witnesses said.

They said police cars were deployed in force on roads between the airport and the circuit on Friday. A small armoured police vehicle was seen on the roadside at the entrance to a neighbourhood in Manama.

The February 14 Youth Movement has called on social networking sites for “three days of rage” to coincide with the race.

Greater equality
And Bahrain’s main opposition group, Al-Wefaq, called for a week of daily protests during the Grand Prix to focus media attention on their long-standing demands for greater equality in the Sunni-ruled kingdom.

The opposition announced that further protests were scheduled for later on Friday, but the government has banned protests in Manama itself.

Amid unease among GP participants, Force India’s Nico Hulkenberg said, “We shouldn’t have been put in this position,” while teammate British driver Paul Di Resta admitted it was an “uncomfortable situation.”

But speaking to reporters at the Sakhir circuit, the chairperson of the Formula One Grand Prix Drivers’ Association, Pedro de la Rosa, said Thursday that safety was “not a concern”.

He had full faith in the decision by the International Motoring Federation to go ahead with the event despite mounting tensions in the kingdom.

Earlier this week, hundreds of protesters carrying banners held a demonstration near Bahrain’s international airport as the race teams flew in.

The Bahrain Grand Prix was cancelled last year in the wake of a Shiite-led uprising against the Sunni monarchy and the brutal government crackdown that followed in which a government commission said 35 people were killed. — Sapa-AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Esports offer a brave new world

With stadiums shut, clubs and leagues are turning to the video games to stay relevant

2019: The ones who left us

From Uyinene Mrwetyana, Oliver Mtukudzi to Xolani Gwala, Mail & Guardian remembers those who have passed on

More battles ahead for domestic worker unions

Florence Sosiba, speaks to the Mail & Guardian about how important domestic workers are and exclusion in the COIDA

“Life has been good to me, considering where I come from” – Xolani Gwala

Just over a year ago, veteran radio presenter Xolani Gwala’s cancer was in remission. He spoke to the Mail & Guardian once he was back on air.

‘Game Changers’ review: What’s the beef?

‘The Game Changers’ is a peculiar trip down the path of athletes on a plant-based diet that has got everyone else in a tizzy

Hamilton stirs up social media storm with pro-vegan post

The five time world champion said that the only way to save the planet is to go vegan
Advertising

Subscribers only

FNB dragged into bribery claims

Allegations of bribery against the bank’s chief executive, Jacques Celliers, thrown up in a separate court case

Dozens of birds and bats perish in extreme heat in...

In a single day, temperatures in northern KwaZulu-Natal climbed to a lethal 45°C, causing a mass die-off of birds and bats

More top stories

Construction sites are a ‘death trap’

Four children died at Pretoria sites in just two weeks, but companies deny they’re to blame

Why the Big Fish escape the justice net

The small fish get caught. Jails are used to control the poor and disorderly and deflect attention from the crimes of the rich and powerful.

Koko claims bias before Zondo commission

In a lawyer’s letter, the former Eskom chief executive says the commission is not being fair to him

Matrics to rewrite two leaked exam papers

The maths and physical science question papers will be rewritten on 15 and 17 December to protect the credibility of the national senior certificate
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…