Two women battle it out for winning $1mn lotto ticket

When she plucked a winning lottery ticket out of a bin, Sharon Jones’s luck changed instantly. The $1-million prize let her pay off debts, give thousands of dollars to her children and buy a gleaming new pickup truck.

But now her jackpot is in jeopardy. A judge ruled this week that the money belongs to another woman, who says she threw the ticket away after a lottery machine incorrectly told her it was a loser. The Arkansas lottery commission insists there are no problems with its equipment.

“Why does she have the right to come back after she’s already thrown it away and say, ‘Oh no. Now that it is a winner, I want the money?'” said Jones’s husband, William, who was laid off last year after working in construction.

Sharon Jones claimed the $1-million prize last July, turning in a scratch-off Diamond Dazzler ticket that the other woman, Sharon Duncan, said she purchased earlier at the Super 1 Stop convenience shop in Beebe, about 56km north-east of Little Rock, the state capital.

Duncan told a judge she discarded the ticket after an electronic scanner told her it was “not a winner”.

“And then the next thing you know, 10 months later, you’re fighting for something that was trash,” William Jones said.

Fail proof
Years ago, Sharon Jones quit her job washing dishes at a cafe to tend to her father-in-law as he was dying from a lung disease. She often collected discarded lottery tickets because they can qualify for secondary prizes. What used to be her father-in-law’s bedroom now contains three large plastic bins full of thousands of old tickets — and a copy of the winning ticket.

Jones discovered the ticket was a winner when the state’s database wouldn’t let her enter the ticket number.

The state lottery commission said it is confident its machines work properly. “We’ve never had a report of a mis-scanned ticket,” spokesperson Julie Baldridge said.

William Jones said the couple was living wage-to-wage before hitting the jackpot. After the two claimed their prize money, they looked to buy a house to replace the ranch-style home they live in now.

“That was one of the first things on our agenda,” he said, explaining that their plans all “got shattered” when ownership of the ticket was disputed. A judge issued a restraining order — but only after the Joneses spent some of the money.

The two now have about $490 000 remaining from the $680 000 they received after taxes. They say they gave tens of thousands of dollars to their children and about $4 500 to a relative who has a child with Down’s syndrome.

Found money
One of Duncan’s attorneys said his client isn’t ready to talk about the lottery ticket yet. Another lawyer, James “Red” Morgan, argued in court that she simply made a mistake by throwing away a $1-million ticket and that the only right she willingly parted with was to enter the ticket for the possibility of a secondary prize.

White County Judge Thomas Hughes concluded that Duncan bought the winning ticket, even though lottery records and store security video didn’t synch up to the precise timing of the purchase. He ruled that Duncan never abandoned her right to claim the winnings.

“The $1-million was never found money,” the judge said on Tuesday.

Lottery officials investigated Jones’s account of finding the ticket and were satisfied with it, lottery security chief Lance Huey testified.

Attorneys for the Joneses plan to appeal the judge’s decision. In the meantime, the remaining money is in limbo. Asked what the pair would do if they had to turn over a full $1-million, Jones laughed.

“I hope I don’t have to answer that question,” he said before confiding that there’s no way they could pay back the money.

Meanwhile, at the convenience store, signs tout the store’s fried chicken and remind passers-by: “Winning million dollar lottery ticket sold here.”

“We’ve still got each other,” Jones said. “We’re going to live regardless.” — Sapa-AP

PW Botha wagged his finger and banned us in 1988 but we stood firm. We built a reputation for fearless journalism, then, and now. Through these last 35 years, the Mail & Guardian has always been on the right side of history.

These days, we are on the trail of the merry band of corporates and politicians robbing South Africa of its own potential.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

In East Africa, the locusts are coming back for more

In February the devastating locust swarms were the biggest seen in East Africa for 70 years. Now they’re even bigger

Western Cape Judge Mushtak Parker faces second misconduct complaint

The Cape Bar Council says his conduct is ‘unbecoming the holding of judicial office’

‘My biggest fear was getting the virus and dying in...

South African Wuhan evacuee speaks about his nine-week ordeal

Border walls don’t stop viruses, but a blanket amnesty might

Why South Africa should consider amnesty for undocumented migrants in the time of the coronavirus outbreak.

Press Releases

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders

Dimension Data launches Saturday School in PE

The Gauteng Saturday School has produced a number of success stories