“The board has written the report which will soon be submitted to President Zuma, Cele himself, Parliament, the National Council of Provinces, as well as the Cabinet committees in charge of safety and security affairs,” the board of inquiry’s spokesperson Bongiwe Gambu said in a statement on Thursday.
“We are very confident about the work that has gone into this process, especially considering the fact that it is unprecedented that we have such a hearing in South Africa.”
The process of going through the documents submitted, including testimonies, transcripts, public submissions, and arguments from both sides, had been concluded.
The inquiry received 25 submissions via email, one delivered by its author, and two submissions through the post.
Gambu said the board of inquiry promised to hold a fair, inclusive and transparent process when the hearings began on March 6.
“We are happy to say we delivered on that promise,” she said.
Zuma established the inquiry in November last year to investigate Cele’s fitness to hold office amid allegations of misconduct relating to two leases for police office space. — Sapa