Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Fifteen KZN police officers in court for murder

Directorate spokesperson Moses Dlamini said on Tuesday the group was accused of the murder of Nhlanhla Lala Luthuli (40) from Hammarsdale, KwaZulu-Natal.

"The case was set down for trial from September 25 to October 12," he said.

They are due back in the same court on Wednesday after their case was adjourned on Tuesday to allow the defence to inspect the scene.

It was believed that on October 29 2010, 15 police officers from the crime intelligence unit in Pinetown and Tactical Response Team in Inanda went to Luthuli's home to search for a firearm, which was stolen from the home of a member of the intelligence unit in a robbery.

Dlaminini said it was alleged the officers assaulted Luthuli in front of his 11-year-old son and his girlfriend until he was unconscious.

The officers tried to resuscitate Luthuli by pouring water on him but their attempts failed, Dlamini said. They then took Luthuli in a police vehicle and dumped him alongside a road where he was found still unconscious. He died on the way to hospital.

The officers, who included a captain and constables, were arrested and charged on November 19 2010.

They previously appeared in the Hammarsdale Magistrate's Court and were granted R5 000 bail. – Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

R270m ‘housing heist’ bid deprives people of decent homes

After alleged attempts to loot Eastern Cape housing funds, 39 200 people in the province will continue to live in atrocious conditions

Cabinet reshuffle not on cards yet

There are calls for the president to act against ministers said to be responsible for the state’s slow response to the unrest, but his hands are tied

More top stories

R270m ‘housing heist’ bid deprives people of decent homes

After alleged attempts to loot Eastern Cape housing funds, 39 200 people in the province will continue to live in atrocious conditions

Stolen ammo poses security threat amid failure to protect high-risk...

A Durban depot container with 1.5-million rounds of ammunition may have been targeted, as others in the vicinity were left untouched, say security sources

Sierra Leoneans want a share of mining profits, or they...

The arrival of a Chinese gold mining company in Kono, a diamond-rich district in the east of Sierra Leone, had a devastating impact on the local community, cutting its water supply and threatening farmers’ livelihoods – and their attempts to seek justice have been frustrated at every turn

IEC to ask the courts to postpone local elections

The chairperson of the Electoral Commission of South Africa said the Moseneke inquiry found that the elections would not be free and fair if held in October
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×