Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Eskom to own South Africa’s nuclear energy dream

Cabinet has named state power utility Eskom, the owner and operator of the six nuclear power stations, that state plans to build, as part of efforts to meet South Africa's electricity shortage.

This is the clearest indication that the government is set to follow through on its nuclear procurement programme despite serious concerns over the financial implications for the country.  

The announcement goes against the recommendation of the National Development Plan, the 30-year vision for the country drawn up by the national planning commission.

The commission warned that an "in-depth investigation into the financial viability of nuclear energy was vital" and recommended that government reassess the desirability of such as programme.

Updated cost estimates for the nuclear build programme were not immediately available, however the Mail & Guardian has previously reported that it could be well over R1-trillion.

The announcement was made by Minister in the Presidency Collins Chabane at a post-Cabinet briefing on Thursday.

Cabinet endorsed a "phased decision-making approach for implementation of the nuclear programme", Chabane said, along with the "designation of Eskom as the owner-operator as per the Nuclear Energy Policy of 2008".

The decision may have substantial implications for Eskom's most recent tariff application, which it submitted to the national energy regulator last month.

The tariff application earmarked increases in the price of power at a rate of 16% over the next five years.

These increases however will only meet Eskom's revenue requirement up to the "substantial completion" of its new coal-fired powerstation Kusile, set to come on line in 2018.

New decisions
Eskom indicated in the application that should any new decisions be made on who should build new electricity generators going forward, it may have to re-submit the multi-year price determination application.

The current tariff application has been criticised by energy users, economists, businesses and trade unions, as unaffordable to the country.

The department of energy could not immediately comment on why the state has opted to go ahead with nuclear power, against the planning commission's recommendations, or provide updated cost estimates.

The national development plan said that the government should reassess the timing and desirability of the nuclear build programme, as it involved investment on a scale "unprecedented" for the country.

"South Africa needs a thorough investigation on the implications of nuclear energy, including its costs, financing options, institutional arrangements, safety, environmental costs and benefits, localisation and employment opportunities, and uranium enrichment and fuel fabrication possibilities," the national development plan said.

The allocation for nuclear generation capacity is outlined in the department of energy's Integrated Resource Plan of 2010 (IRP2010). The IRP2010 is a 20-year road map, outlining the mix of the country's future electricity generation. It allocated 9 600MW of power from nuclear generation capacity, or six new power stations.  

Critics have however noted that the IRP2010 is out of date, with many of the cost assumptions it incorporated having changed. It has also taken no account of recent development including "game-changing" sources of electricity, such as gas, which could be more affordable for the country.

Spokesperson for Eskom, Hilary Joffe, said the company "welcomed the decision and would await guidance from government on the process to be followed".

She could not immediately comment on the implications the announcement would have for Eskom's tariff application.

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Lynley Donnelly
Lynley Donnelly
Lynley is a senior business reporter at the Mail & Guardian. But she has covered everything from social justice to general news to parliament - with the occasional segue into fashion and arts. She keeps coming to work because she loves stories, especially the kind that help people make sense of their world.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

South Africa’s mothballed ‘supermall-ification’ sets strip malls up for success

Analysts agree that the country has enough malls and that, post-Covid, the convenience of local centres lure customers

Mabuza’s Russian jaunts and the slippery consequences of medical tourism

For more than five years the deputy president has remained steadfast in his right to travel abroad to receive medical treatment

More top stories

Deputy president Mabuza begs Tshwane voters: ‘Don’t abandon the ANC’

Angry Atteridgeville residents hurl insults at ‘dysfunctional’ ANC full of ‘corrupt individuals’ as Mabuza fails to placate them with party T-shirts and doeks

Taxi operators clash with cops over disputed Route B97 in...

Three suspects remain in custody following their arrest on charges of attempted murder and assault after eight taxis were impounded

SA teens, you’re next in the queue for a vaccine...

Teenagers between the ages of 12 and 17 will be able to register to receive their Covid-19 jab from 20 October. This group will be given only one dose of the Pfizer vaccine, for now

Former US secretary of state Colin Powell dies aged 84

The 84-year-old died as a result of complications from Covid-19
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×