Complaint withdrawn against SABC over ‘blacklist’

The DA has urged the Freedom of Expression Institute (FXI) and the SABC to reveal the terms of their settlement over the blacklisting of political commentators.

"It is unacceptable that a case that is clearly in the public interest … should be settled behind closed doors without the terms of this settlement being made public," Democratic Alliance MP Marian Shinn said on Monday.

"South Africans concerned with the suppression of diverse views … are anxious to learn what, if any, compromises or sanctions have been decided."

Earlier, the FXI withdrew its complaint against the SABC, but declined to give reasons for it.

"Parties were engaged in a settlement agreement … and the FXI hereby withdraws its complaints," said Nasreen Rajab-Budlender, acting for the FXI.


The terms of the settlement were not disclosed, and the institute declined to give reasons for the withdrawal.

No complaint remaining
Hamilton Maenetje, senior counsel for the SABC, said the dispute had been resolved.

"There is no complaint remaining … We ask for a termination of proceedings."

A public hearing by the Complaints Compliance Committee (CCC) of the Independent Communications Authority of SA (Icasa) was to be heard on Monday.

The FXI lodged the complaint in 2007 after allegations surfaced of a "blacklist" implemented by then-group executive of news for the SABC, Snuki Zikalala.

It was believed Zikalala instructed his staff not to use certain political commentators because of their political views on the Thabo Mbeki presidency. These commentators held particular views on the African National Congress's succession debate.

Long road, short ending
An independent commission of inquiry set up by the SABC found Zikalala had given the instruction. Based on this finding, the FXI laid a complaint with Icasa.

It contended the SABC violated the Broadcasting Act, the Icasa Act, the Constitution and its licence conditions by excluding commentators from expressing their views on the succession debate at the time.

The SABC made an application to Icasa to dismiss the complaint on the grounds that the CCC had no jurisdiction to investigate, hear, or make findings on the complaint. The CCC ruled in favour of the SABC.

The FXI then took the matter to the High Court in Johannesburg, which set aside the ruling and found Icasa did in fact have the authority to monitor the SABC's compliance.

The matter was referred back to the CCC to investigate and come to a decision on the matter. – Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

SABC risks factual insolvency by end of March, Parliament hears

Factual, or technical insolvency occurs when a company's liabilities exceed its assets

ANC Veteran’s League wants consultative conference to fix ‘political problems’

In a statement, league president Snuki Zikalala said the ANC's elective conference "grabbed the nation’s attention and anxiety".

​Veterans plead for unity between factions

The ANC’s Veterans League plans to meet with presidential candidates in a bid to prevent further tensions over the party succession battle.

ANC stalwarts take on the ANC

The Veterans’ League says the executive is trying to fob off its job of tackling the Zuma mess

MPs inch closer to final recommendations for interim SABC board

MPs also discussed recommendations around the "shareholder" of the SABC, which is currently Minister Muthambi.

DA to oppose Maguvhe’s SABC inquiry interdict against parly ad hoc committee

The Democratic Alliance will go to court to oppose the interdict against members of Parliament's ad hoc committee looking into the SABC board
Advertising

Subscribers only

Toxic power struggle hits public works

With infighting and allegations of corruption and poor planning, the department’s top management looks like a scene from ‘Survivor’

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

More top stories

Mboweni plans to freeze public sector wage increases for the...

The mid-term budget policy statement delivered by the finance minister proposes cutting all non-interest spending by R300-billion.

SAA to receive R10.5-billion government bailout after all

Several struggling state-owned entities received extra funds after the medium term budget policy speech

Malawi court judges win global prize

Members of the small African country’s judiciary took a stand for democracy to international approval
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday