Public works department admits to spending R65m on renovations

"The department has spent R65-million of its allocated budgets under its prestige portfolio effecting renovations and improvements to a number of state-owned houses in both Cape Town and Pretoria allocated to members of the executive," said spokesperson Mandisa Fatyela-Lindie on Monday.

"Approximately 27 properties were involved with varying degrees of scopes of work."

She said spending money on houses of ministers was within the department's "core function".

The Sunday Times reported over the weekend that Public Works Minister Thulas Nxesi admitted to spending R65-million on renovating ministers' houses in the 2011/12 financial year.

Nxesi made the admission in response to a parliamentary question on December 14.


The renovation bills reportedly included R15-million on a Cape Town house allocated to Rural Development Minister Gugile Nkwinti, R10.67-million to overhaul a house earmarked for use by Transport Deputy Minister Lydia Chikunga, and just under R5-million to upgrade a house for Agriculture Minister Tina Joemat-Pettersson.

Department's responsibilities
"It is important to note that it is not the responsibility of the individual ministers to decide on the scope of renovation of state properties.

"This task is solely the responsibility of the department of public works in line with its constitutional mandate," said Fatyela-Lindie.

She said the Nxesi had embarked on a number of corrective measures to deal with suppliers who inflated prices during projects done by the department.

These measures included the formation of a task team made up of engineers, architects and construction project management to investigate the prices and construction quality.

In line with these corrective measures, external service providers had been brought on board to promote compliance, eliminate corruption and improve efficiencies, she said. – Sapa

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Sapa
Guest Author
Advertising

Ramaphosa asks all South Africans to help to avoid 50...

Calling this ‘the gravest crisis in the history of our democracy’, the president said level three lockdown remains, but enforcement will be strengthened

Reinstated Ingonyama Trust managers hit with retrenchment notices

The effect of Covid-19 and the land reform department’s freeze of R23-million because the ITB didn’t comply with budget submissions are cited as some of the reasons for the staff cuts
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday