Train services stalled due to crash in Pretoria

At least 150 people, including children, were injured, emergency services said on Thursday. But EWN reported 300 people were injured in the accident, stating "50 of them are schoolchildren [and] 2 are in a critical condition in the Kalafong hospital".

The accident occurred when a train crashed into a stationary locomotive near Attridgeville.

"Many are walking wounded and already left. There are 20 people in serious condition and one, the driver of the second train, is in a critical condition," said local emergency services spokesperson Johan Pieterse.

The driver was airlifted to hospital.

The cause was being investigated, he added.

Passenger Rail Association of South Africa chief exectuive Mosenngwa Mofi said cable theft and subsequent human error caused Thursday's crash and that the signalling for the trains to stop was being operated manually when the accident happened.

Transport Minister Ben Martins said if the trains had a head-on collision, hundreds of people could have been killed.

South Africa signed a $5.8-billion contract with France's Alstom in December to supply 3 600 new train cars as part of a 10-year programme to overhaul its ageing rail network. – Additional reporting by Reuters

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.


To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Schools: Confusion rather than clarity and confidence reign

The way in which Angie Motshekga has handled the reopening of schools has caused many people to lose confidence in her

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday