Sentencing starts for convicted terrorist Henry Okah

Flanked by 12 police officers, Okah, dressed in a red and blue chequered T-shirt, entered the dock on Monday and turned to blow a kiss to his wife Azuka, who was seated in the third row, before taking his place.

The court heard Okah would apply for special entries to be made on the record. JP Marais, for Okah, told the court that one of the witnesses he intended on calling only arrived in South African on Monday morning because the flight was delayed.

He said he consulted with Okah last week, but did not finish it. State prosecutor Shaun Abrahams said a witness the state intended calling arrived in the country on Sunday and he did not have enough time to prepare the replying affidavit.

Judge Neels Claassen said proceedings should continue. Marais asked for a short postponement to tie down consultations with Okah, after Okah said he wanted to speak to his legal team. One of the witnesses Okah intended on calling sat in the front row of the public gallery.

On January 21, Okah was found guilty on 13 counts of terrorism, including engaging in terrorist activities, conspiracy to engage in terrorist activities, and delivering, placing, and detonating an explosive device.


Car bombs
The charges related to two car bombs in Abuja, Nigeria, in which 12 people were killed and 36 injured on October 1 2010, the anniversary of the country's independence.

The court heard Okah intended calling at least five people from the United States and Nigeria to come and testify on his behalf. During judgment in January, Claassen said the state proved Okah's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, and that his failure to testify meant the evidence against him remained uncontested.

He found no evidence that Okah did not head the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta, which claimed responsibility for the blasts.

During the trial, Okah denied any involvement in the blasts and said the charges against him were politically motivated. On Monday morning, the main road outside the court was closed to traffic. Police were monitoring who was allowed to pass.

On the court's second floor, police and security guards conducted body searches and looked through bags twice before letting people enter the room.

Claassen adjourned the case to 11.30am. – Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

Henry Okah to be jailed for 24 years

Terrorist Henry Okah has been sentenced to 24 years in prison by the South Gauteng High Court for three bomb blasts that killed 13 people altogether.

Henry Okah’s prison sentencing postponed

The sentencing process of Nigerian terrorist Henry Okah has been postponed until February 28 by the High Court in Johannesburg.

Henry Okah given guilty verdict for Abuja car bombings

Nigerian terrorist Henry Okah has been found guilty of masterminding two car bombings in Abuja in October last year, by the South Gauteng High Court.

Nigerian authorities ‘knew about planned terror attack’

Nigerian security authorities were informed of an imminent attack before the 2010 terrorist bombings in Abuja that left 12 people dead and 36 injured.

Nigeria leader willing to work with Okah for peace

Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan has shown a willingness to offer terror-accused Henry Okah an olive branch to pacify the volatile Niger Delta.

Minister: I had no knowledge of Okah’s bomb plans

Niger Delta Minister Godsday Orubebe has given a grisly account of the 2010 bombings in Abuja as the trial of Henry Okah begins.
Advertising

Subscribers only

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

SAA bailout raises more questions

As the government continues to grapple with the troubles facing the airline, it would do well to keep on eye on the impending Denel implosion

More top stories

Hawks swoop down with more arrests in R1.4-billion corruption blitz

The spate of arrests for corruption continues apace in Gauteng and the Eastern Cape.

Catholic NGO boss accused of racism and abuse in Sudan

The aid worker allegedly called his security guard a ‘slave’

Agrizzi too ill to be treated at Bara?

The alleged crook’s “health emergency” — if that is what it is — shows up the flaws, either in our health system or in our leadership as a whole

SANDF hid R200m expenditure on ‘Covid’ drug it can’t use

Military health officials are puzzled by the defence department importing a drug that has not been approved for treating coronavirus symptoms from Cuba
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday