Guptas had no authorisation to use air force base, says SANDF

"As far as I know, no permission has been granted to a private citizen to use the base. It is a military base and a national key point used by government and its guests," South African National Defence Force (SANDF) spokesperson Siphiwe Dlamini said on Tuesday.

The Gupta family, which owns the New Age newspaper and Sahara Computers, will celebrate the wedding of Vega Gupta  (23) to Indian-born Aaskash Jahajgarhia at Sun City, North West, between May 1 and 4.

Earlier on Tuesday, the Gupta family said the authorities had granted permission for a private jet, with family wedding guests on board, to land there.

"The Waterkloof [Air Force Base] was used, as Lanseria airport could not accommodate the size of the jet chartered by the family," Gupta family spokesperson Haranath Ghosh said in a statement.

He said the Indian High Commission, and not the family, applied for and was granted the permission.


Attempts to confirm this with the Indian High Commission in Pretoria were unsuccessful.

Deputy High Commissioner Armstrong Changsan said the High Commissioner was the only one allowed to comment, and he was not available until Monday.

'SANDF knew nothing'
​Eyewitness News reported on Tuesday that private jets were landing at Waterkloof Air Force Base and that blue-light vehicles were escorting guests to Sun City. Dlamini said the SANDF knew nothing about this.

"Let them [Guptas] tell you who they got the permission from and that they show it to you," he said. "If the Gupta family say the commission got the permission, then the commission should be asked who they got it from, if they have such a permission."

Dlamini could not answer why private jets were allowed to land at the air force base if they had no permission to do so.

"What you are asking is just speculation. Ask the Indian High Commission who they got permission from to land," he said. Ghosh said all transport arrangements had been transparently made. "Naturally, suitable protocol was used to receive and transport the foreign ministers to the wedding," he said.

International relations department spokesperson Clayson Monyela said Waterkloof Air Force Base was a military facility and had nothing to do with his department.

"Whoever applied for permission to use the base did it with the SANDF; that had nothing to do with the department," he said. – Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

Former state security minister Bongo back in court

Bongo and his co-accused will appear in the Nelspruit magistrate’s court in Mpumalanga over charges of fraud, corruption and theft

Civilians need to oversee South Africa’s defence force

ANC officials’ ‘taxi’ ride in an SANDF jet to Zimbabwe is further evidence that more transparency is needed in the military

Editorial: Corruption taints us all

The SIU revealed that it is investigating 658 companies that may have profited unfairly from the Covid-19 crisis. Together those companies raked in over R5-billion — money that could have been better spent plugging some of the many leaks that have imperilled South Africa’s democracy.

Bank guarantees foil Denel’s R4.5-bn Egypt contract

Loss of work is the last thing the beleaguered state enterprise needs

Gupta-linked Bobat was hired on merit, Van Rooyen tells Zondo commission

Former finance minister Des van Rooyan said he did not have Mohamed Bobat’s CV when he appointed him as a special adviser

Ipid recommends disciplinary action against police who watched Khosa beating

Police watchdog report finds that metro police members did not participate in the assault
Advertising

Subscribers only

Toxic power struggle hits public works

With infighting and allegations of corruption and poor planning, the department’s top management looks like a scene from ‘Survivor’

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

More top stories

Mboweni plans to freeze public sector wage increases for the...

The mid-term budget policy statement delivered by the finance minister proposes cutting all non-interest spending by R300-billion.

SAA to receive R10.5-billion government bailout after all

Several struggling state-owned entities received extra funds after the medium term budget policy speech

Malawi court judges win global prize

Members of the small African country’s judiciary took a stand for democracy to international approval
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday