Government fund buys 25% stake in Independent News

According to the newspaper on Tuesday, the fund already owns a 19.5% stake in the Times Media Group, which publishes Business Day and other major titles in competition with the Independent's titles, which include the Star and the Cape Times.

Independent was recently purchased by the Sekunjalo Independent Media Consortium, which was set up by Dr Iqbal Surve to bring Independent News and Media SA "back home", after it was bought from Anglo American by the Irish holding company, Independent News and Media in 1994.

Business Day reported that the state already owned 100% of the public broadcaster, the SABC, and had been perceived to be keeping the New Age afloat through lucrative advertising deals.

Pension fund spokesperson Khanya Buthelezi told the newspaper the purchase of the stake in Independent News and Media SA was in line with its government mandate.

"In terms of our development investment policy, to which we have allocated 50% [about R60-billion] of total assets under management, we seek to invest in commercially viable projects that deliver both financial and social returns," he was quoted as saying.


"In addition, we seek to promote black economic empowerment to increase economic participation by the majority in the mainstream economy." – Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Ithala fails to act against board chairperson over PPE scandal

Morar asked to settle with the state and pay back the profit he made on an irregular tender

Vodacom swindled out of more than R24m worth of iPhones

A former employee allegedly ran an intricate scam to steal 8700 phones from the cellular giant

More top stories

‘Extreme’ tactics and lockdown buy rhino more time

The Rockwood Conservation reserve boasts zero poaching incidents in six years and its breeding project is successful, but costly

What is EFF’s party funding quest?

Its court application to force disclosure of donations to Cyril Ramaphosa may mask a bid to portray him as a capitalist puppet

North West premier in phone tapping claims

‘Agents’ working for Job Mokgoro allegedly tapped ANC and cabinet members’ phones

Judicial committee orders Mogoeng to apologise for SA-Israel remarks

The JCC said that by the chief justice straying into politics, he breached the judicial conduct code and ordered him to issue an apology and retraction
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…