Martínez resigns as Wigan manager

"He wanted permission to move, so I've given that," Whelan told BBC Sport on Tuesday. "He has 12 months left on his contract, so whoever comes in for him must pay the remainder of his contract." 

Martínez asked to leave Wigan Athletic having guided the club to FA Cup glory days before being relegated from the Premier League, with Everton and Stoke City already linked with his signature.

The Spaniard had been in charge since 2009, having previously helped turn Swansea City into one of Britain's most attractive sides.

Wigan pulled off a series of relegation escapes under Martínez while winning admirers for their attacking football and he turned down an approach from Aston Villa two years ago.

The underdogs then managed a 1-0 FA Cup final triumph over Manchester City earlier this month to win their first major trophy but were relegated three days later after eight years in the top flight.


'We have to move on'
"He feels he's not the man to lead us into the Premier League. I've got to accept what he feels. He loves Wigan and the fans. We have to move on now and want applications for the job," Whelan said.

Media reports have linked 39-year-old Martínez with Everton, who have lost manager David Moyes to champions Manchester United after Alex Ferguson's retirement.

Everton finished sixth in the Premier League last season, 10 points off a Champions League playoff spot.

Stoke City are another English top flight club without a coach after parting company with Tony Pulis. Much-travelled Mark Hughes has been linked in the media with the Potters.

Former Wigan midfielder Martínez, who made his name as a player in the English lower divisions rather than Spain, could also be a target in his homeland.

Reports say Malaga are set to be without a coach with Manuel Pellegrini heading to managerless Manchester City.

Martínez recruited heavily from Central America during his time at Wigan on a relatively limited budget but was criticised by fans for not shoring up a leaky defence. – AFP, Reuters

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Reuters Author
Guest Author
Afp Author
Guest Author

Related stories

Manchester City CAS ruling counts for everything and nothing

It may leave a sour taste in the mouth, but the lack of sanction for Manchester City, aside from a fine that amounts to small change, doesn’t affect the bigger picture

Moyes set for first competitive match as United coach

David Moyes will take charge of his first competitive game as Manchester United manager when his new club tackle FA Cup winners Wigan Athletic.

England braced for Africa Cup of Nations exodus

The outcome of this season's English Premier League title race will be shaped by a tournament taking place kilometres away in South Africa.

Kompany fit to lead Manchester City

Man City captain Vincent Kompany will be fit to lead his side in their Premier League match at Wigan Athletic, first-team coach David Platt has said.

Debut star Hazard shines in Chelsea win

Eden Hazard showed why he's regarded one of the brightest young stars in Europe as the Belgian forward inspired Chelsea to a 2-0 victory over Wigan.

Blackburn relegated after Wigan defeat

Blackburn Rovers have been relegated from the Premier League after a 1-0 defeat at home to Wigan Athletic ended their 11-year stay in the top flight.
Advertising

Subscribers only

Toxic power struggle hits public works

With infighting and allegations of corruption and poor planning, the department’s top management looks like a scene from ‘Survivor’

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

More top stories

Vitamin therapy is for drips

It may be marketed by influencers, but intravenous vitamin therapy is not necessary and probably not worth the hype, experts say

Facebook, Instagram indiscriminately flag #EndSars posts as fake news

Fact-checking is appropriate but the platforms’ scattershot approach has resulted in genuine information and messages about Nigerians’ protest against police brutality being silenced

Murder of anti-mining activist emboldens KZN community

Mam’Ntshangase was described as a fierce critic of mining and ambassador for land rights.

Unite with Nigeria’s ‘Speak Up’ generation protesting against police brutality

Photos of citizens draped in the bloodied flag have spread around the world in the month the country should be celebrating 60 years of independence
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday