Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Relatives plead for answers after 120 killed in China fire tragedy

The blaze, which swept through a poultry slaughterhouse, is one of China's worst industrial disasters in recent years.

A handful of men and women knelt in the middle of the road in Dehui in Jilin province to stop cars, while a crowd of more than 100 people gathered around them. Police dispersed the protesters after about an hour.

Zhao Zhenchun, who lost both his wife and his sister in the fire, said human error was to blame for the death toll. "I don't think safety was being managed properly. This should never happen again. They paid the price with their blood. So many of these big disasters in China are caused by lax supervision," he said.

The workplace safety record in the world's second-largest economy is poor. Fire exits in factories are often locked to prevent workers taking time off or stealing things, or blocked entirely, and regulations are easily skirted by bribing corrupt officials.

It is a record that will likely prompt concerns overseas as Chinese companies buy stakes in and take over foreign food producers, such as Shuanghui International Holdings's record $7.1-billion deal – including debt – to buy leading US pork producer Smithfield Foods.

State news agency Xinhua said those suspected of being responsible for the accident had been taken into police custody for further inquiries. It did not elaborate.

Local police said ammonia gas leaks could have caused the explosions in the plant, the Chinese News Service reported. The slaughterhouse is owned by Jilin Baoyuanfeng Poultry, a small local feed and poultry producer.

Premises locked
More than 300 workers were in the plant on Monday, with employees saying they heard a bang and then saw smoke, Xinhua reported. Around 100 workers managed to escape from the plant, whose gate was locked when the fire broke out, it added. Nearby houses were evacuated.

On Tuesday, Yang Xiuya sat cross-legged in front of a car and shouted angrily at police, insisting the doors of the slaughterhouse had been locked at the time of the fire.

"My daughter worked there. They haven't given us any explanation. It was time for my daughter to leave work but the door was locked, so they all burned to death," she shouted. "The government isn't giving us an explanation."

The death toll prompted President Xi Jinping – on a visit to Costa Rica before he heads to the United States for a meeting with US President Barack Obama on Friday – to instruct the authorities to care for the injured and find out what caused the disaster, Xinhua said.

Another relative screamed at a line of dozens of unarmed SWAT police officers and tried to attack them before women pulled him back. "We can't see our family members and there's no information. We can't see the survivors or the bodies of the dead. They need to let us see the bodies," he shouted, wiping away angry tears.

Many of China's deadly industrial accidents happen in the huge coal mining industry, in which more than 1 300 people died last year from explosions, mine collapses and floods.

Jilin is a largely agricultural province and an important producer of corn and soybeans. – Reuters

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

The South African Bone Marrow Registry celebrates 30 years of...

‘It’s not drilling into bones!’: Misconceptions keep donors away, says SABMR, but a match outside of a patient’s family is a needle in a haystack

R500-million Covid-19 Gauteng hospital contract was irregularly awarded — SIU

The bank accounts of Pro Service Consulting and Thenga Holdings have been frozen

More top stories

With its industrial base decimated, SA’s economy needs real change...

Speaking at a book launch on Tuesday, the finance minister said a focus on manufacturing is critical to stem the country’s deepening unemployment crisis

Defence team cagey about Zuma’s health after state advised he...

The former president was absent from court, but his counsel argued that health matters be left aside, so as to hear his case for the removal of Billy Downer

The South African Bone Marrow Registry celebrates 30 years of...

‘It’s not drilling into bones!’: Misconceptions keep donors away, says SABMR, but a match outside of a patient’s family is a needle in a haystack

New clean fuel standards could be the end of refineries...

In the absence of mechanisms to recoup investment into cleaner fuels, refineries may be faced with tough decisions
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×