Rebel leader flees on horseback from CAR fighters

A military source on Monday told reporters the rebel leader escaped the weekend attack on horseback.

The forces of the ruling Seleka movement launched an attack on the Democratic Front for the Central African People (FDPC), former allies, in the western region of Baboua on Saturday, the source said.

"They attacked these [FDPC] positions, leaving four dead and two injured, of whom one was seriously [injured] and who later died of his wounds," the source said, requesting anonymity.

The Seleka coalition of former rebels overthrew the unstable regime of François Bozizé on March 24 and its leader Michel Djotodia proclaimed himself head of state in the coup-prone former French colony.

Since then, Djotodia's government has struggled to secure the mineral-rich but poor landlocked nation.


The FDPC, led by Abdoulaye Miskine, threatened in April to take up arms against the new authorities.

Miskine was injured when government forces attacked FDPC positions later that month.

Fleeing on horseback
The source said an FDPC fighter who later died from wounds sustained during Saturday's attack said that Miskine had narrowly escaped the clash.

"He managed to escape on horseback, abandoning some belongings, including photos, a telephone book, and his totem, an oxtail," the source said.

Speaking to AFP by telephone early Monday, Miskine gave a conflicting account of the events.

"Once again, I deny all involvement of the FDPC in this clash, assuring that my movement has no intention of fighting the Seleka.

"On the contrary, the steps [being taken] are meant to achieve common ground between the two sides," he said.

In 2007, the FDPC became the first rebel group to sign a peace deal with Bozizé's government, but later tore it up claiming the state had not honoured its commitments.

The 66-year-old deposed leader, who seized power in a 2003 coup and was subsequently elected president twice in polls widely condemned as fraudulent, has sought refuge in Cameroon. – AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

How lottery execs received dubious payments through a private company

The National Lottery Commission is being investigated by the SIU for alleged corruption and maladministration, including suspicious payments made to senior NLC employees between 2016 and 2017

Pandemic hobbles learners’ futures

South African schools have yet to open for the 2021 academic year and experts are sounding the alarm over lost learning time, especially in the crucial grades one and 12

More top stories

Zuma, Zondo play the waiting game

The former president says he will talk once the courts have ruled, but the head of the state capture inquiry appears resigned to letting the clock run out as the commission's deadline nears

Disinformation harms health and democracy

Conspiracy theorists abuse emotive topics to suck the air out of legitimate debate and further their own sinister agendas

Uganda: ‘I have never seen this much tear-gas in an...

Counting was slow across Uganda as a result of the internet shutdown, which affected some of the biometric machines used to validate voter registrations.

No way out for Thales in arms deal case, court...

The arms manufacturer has argued that there was no evidence to show that it was aware of hundreds of indirect payments to Jacob Zuma, but the court was not convinced.
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…