SA towns seek R3.9bn reimbursement from 2010 World Cup builders

South African towns are seeking reimbursement of as much as R3.9-billion from construction companies for overcharging on stadium and road contracts for the 2010 soccer World Cup.

“We plan to claim as much as we can from the construction companies,” Lance Joel, chief of operations at the South African Local Government Association (Salga), said on Monday. “It is fair.”

Salga plans to hold meetings with the companies starting this week to reach an out-of-court agreement, according to Joel.

The Competition Commission has already recommended that 15 construction companies be fined a combined R1.46-billion for collusion over prices for projects including those commissioned for the World Cup.

The new claims relate to the R13-billion worth of contracts awarded to build six stadiums, roads and related infrastructure for the soccer tournament. The contracts were awarded from 2006 to the end of 2009, according to the association. “Overcharge on these contracts range from 10% to 30%,” Joel said. “The association will not be adding penalty interest.”


Salga has filed with the Competition Tribunal to be listed as an “aggrieved party” when the court rules on the final collective fine set by the commission. The association will remain guided by the tribunal, according to Joel.

Aveng, the country’s biggest construction company by market value, was fined R306.6-billion by the Competition Commission for price-fixing and collusion last month. Murray & Roberts agreed to pay R309-million. Wilson Bayly Holmes-Ovcon (WBHO) was fined R311-million. “The industry did a good job in cleaning itself up,” WBHO chairperson Mike Wylie said in an interview with CNBC Africa on Monday. – Bloomberg

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Unethical businesses will face people’s protest

Companies must behave like model democratic citizens if they are to earn and retain society’s social licence to operate

Eskom and treasury fight needs urgent attention

Early signs of instability are creeping into struggling power utility as forces fighting for space in the parastatal take battle to the very top at Megawatt Park

Eskom and treasury locked in multibillion-rand tender bunfight

Independent investigation into Eskom reveals fractious board discussions, involving accusations and counter-accusations, as allegations of corruption sink contract

War of words over declined medical aid merger

Sizwe Medical Fund has taken a swipe at the Council for Medical Schemes for declining its merger with Hosmed

Cambridge Food Jozini: Pandemic or not, the price-gouging continues

The Competition Commission has fined Cambridge Food Jozini for hiking the price of its maize meal during April

World Cup review, Part V: Spain and the lasting legacy of 2010

South Africa had a front row seat as the greatest team of its generation went into full bloom
Advertising

Subscribers only

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

SAA bailout raises more questions

As the government continues to grapple with the troubles facing the airline, it would do well to keep on eye on the impending Denel implosion

More top stories

Hawks swoop down with more arrests in R1.4-billion corruption blitz

The spate of arrests for corruption continues apace in Gauteng and the Eastern Cape.

Catholic NGO boss accused of racism and abuse in Sudan

The aid worker allegedly called his security guard a ‘slave’

Agrizzi too ill to be treated at Bara?

The alleged crook’s “health emergency” — if that is what it is — shows up the flaws, either in our health system or in our leadership as a whole

SANDF hid R200m expenditure on ‘Covid’ drug it can’t use

Military health officials are puzzled by the defence department importing a drug that has not been approved for treating coronavirus symptoms from Cuba
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday