SA soldiers killed at Bangui were ‘unprotected’ by bulletproof vests

Colonel Renier "Doibi" Coetzee, a senior South African Special Forces officer, made the claim on behalf of his superiors at a press conference in Pretoria earlier this week, Beeld reported on Friday.

He said soldiers who had worn their jackets correctly during the battle in the Central African Republic on March 23 withstood several bullets and survived the ordeal.

After the conflict it emerged that some of the South African troops had not worn their jackets in the prescribed way, said Coetzee.

"Some took out the bulletproofing plates, while others just wore breast plates. This left their backs unprotected," he said.

Coetzee said the army was currently evaluating both instructions for wearing the jackets, and the quality of items being issued to soldiers.

"It is true that our jackets are a bit old, and that the technology is a bit outdated… but there's nothing wrong with them," he said.

Wearing the jackets was optional, and especially when it was hot, soldiers tended to remove the plates from the vests.

"American and British soldiers in Afghanistan eat and sleep with their jackets on, and they would not dare move from camp without them. This is one of the things that after the current evaluation will probably become mandatory for our soldiers," he said.

Controversy
The South African National Defence Force (SANDF) soldiers died during clashes with Seleka rebels in the Central African Republic.

Announcing the news, President Jacob Zuma said: "It is a sad moment for our country. We are truly proud of our soldiers, about 200 of our men fought a force of more than 1 000 bandits for nine hours."

The main clash occurred at a SANDF base on the outskirts of Bangui and was coupled with other isolated incidents around the Central African Republic capital.

SANDF personnel were on the ground as a bi-lateral military agreement with the country, which was signed in 2007 and renewed in 2012.

However, questions have been raised about Zuma's motivations for taking SANDF into the conflict, with the Mail & Guardian reporting the SANDF were deployed to protect business interests related to the ANC – a claim which it has denied.

Advertisting

Aggett tormentor had a ‘morbid’ obsession — Barbara Hogan

The former minister told the inquest into the trade unionist Neil Aggett’s death that security branch interrogator Stephan Whitehead was voyeuristic

ANC and the state step back from taking action against...

Despite alleged abuses of power and people’s trust, the ANC appears to have abandoned plans to reform the controversial Ingonyama Trust Board
Advertising

Press Releases

UKZN scientists make the grade

Dr Veron Ramsuran and Dr Lenine Liebenberg have been named in the African Academy of Science's top 40 list.

Wellcome Trust award goes to UKZN mental health champion

Dr Andr? J van Rensburg, a senior researcher in UKZN's Centre for Rural Health, received the Wellcome Trust Discretionary Award.

MTN gears up to deliver improved customer service

On 28 January, the first batch of MTN contract customers will be migrated onto the new customer service platform.

Request for expression of interest on analysis of quality and outcome indicators for regional and district hospitals in Lesotho

Introduction The Ministry of Health of Lesotho with the support of the World Bank funded Nutrition and Health Systems Strengthening...

MiX Telematics enhances in-vehicle video camera solution

The company has launched the gold MiX Vision Bureau Service, which includes driver-coaching tools to ensure risky driver behaviour can be addressed proactively and efficiently.

Boosting safety for cargo and drivers

The use of a telematics system for fleet vehicles has proved to be an important tool in helping to drive down costs and improve efficiency, says MiX Telematics Africa.

Silencing the guns and firearms amnesty

Silencing the guns and firearms amnesty

Gender-based violence is an affront to our humanity

Gender-based violence is an affront to our humanity