Sekunjalo finalises Independent Media purchase

Prominent South African media firm Sekunjalo Independent Media Consortium (SIM) has concluded its purchase of Cape Town-based Independent News & Media SA (INMSA).

SIM says newly appointed chairman Iqbal Surve is delighted with the deal, which was concluded last week. "He said having the business back in South African hands was good for the country, with its strong stable of titles able to play an important role in positively engaging with the people of South Africa, with the aim of enhancing the country both culturally and economically."

Surve said he is looking forward to working with the staff of the company, both as employees and as future shareholders in the soon-to-be-established staff shareholder trust.

Ireland-based parent company Independent News & Media (INM) confirmed on June 17 that its shareholders had voted in favour of selling the media group to the Sekunjalo Group.

The two INMSA shareholders are SIM (75%) and the Government Employees' Pension Fund acting through the Public Investment Corporation (PIC) with 25%.

'Value-adding'
Sekunjalo Investment Holdings, Cosatu investment company Kopano Ke Matlaka, SACTWU Investments Group, the Food and Allied Workers Union and employees through a special purpose vehicle will hold 63% of SIM's shares. A number of "broad-based, value-adding partners" will hold the other 37%.

INM chief executive Vincent Crowley said on Wednesday that he was pleased the sale had been successfully completed. He is confident the South African business will prosper in Sekunjalo and Surve's hands.

"Based on our assessment, we are confident that the investment in Independent News & Media SA will yield the required returns and contribute positively to the South African media landscape," said PIC chief investment officer Daniel Matjila.

INMSA chief executive Tony Howard has said he is excited about the deal and looking forward to working with the new owners.

INMSA owns the Cape Times, the Cape Argus, the Weekend Argus, the Daily Voice, The Star, Pretoria News, Saturday Star, Sunday Independent, Diamond Fields Advertiser, Weekend Pretoria News, Daily News, The Mercury, Post, Independent on Saturday, the Sunday Tribune, and Zulu daily newspaper Isolezwe and its Saturday and Sunday editions.

The company owns a number of weekly community newspapers in the Western Cape and has investments in the community newspaper markets in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng.

INMSA owns and runs Independent Online and publishes three Conde Nast international magazine brands: House & Garden, GQ and Glamour. – Sapa

Advertisting

Mabuza’s ‘distant relative’ scored big

Eskom’s woes are often because of boiler problems at its power plants. R50-billion has been set aside to fix them, but some of the contracts are going to questionable entities

ANC faction gunning for Gordhan

The ambush will take place at an NEC meeting about Eskom. But the real target is Cyril Ramaphosa

What the law could clarify this year

Lawfare: Major developments are on the cards where law and politics meet, including the first amendment to South Africa’s Bill of Rights

The secret ‘Warmonger’ at the SSA

A listening device acquired by the agency is at the centre of an alleged R600-million fraud operation
Advertising

Press Releases

New-style star accretion bursts dazzle astronomers

Associate Professor James O Chibueze and Dr SP van den Heever are part of an international team of astronomers studying the G358-MM1 high-mass protostar.

2020 risk outlook: Use GRC to build resilience

GRC activities can be used profitably to develop an integrated risk picture and response, says ContinuitySA.

MTN voted best mobile network

An independent report found MTN to be the best mobile network in SA in the fourth quarter of 2019.

Is your tertiary institution is accredited?

Rosebank College is an educational brand of The Independent Institute of Education, which is registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training.

Is your tertiary institution accredited?

Rosebank College is an educational brand of The Independent Institute of Education, which is registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training.

VUT chancellor, Dr Xolani Mkhwanazi, dies

The university conferred the degree of Doctor of Science Honoris Causa on Dr Xolani Mkhwanazi for his outstanding leadership contributions to maths and science education development.

Innovate4AMR now in second year

SA's Team pill-Alert aims to tackle antimicrobial resistance by implementing their strategic intervention that ensures patients comply with treatment.

Medical students present solution in Geneva

Kapil Narain and Mohamed Hoosen Suleman were selected to present their strategic intervention to tackle antimicrobial resistance to an international panel of experts.