Tlokwe: DA snubs ‘illegal’ council special meeting

The Democratic Alliance (DA) did not attend a Tlokwe council special meeting on Friday because it was illegally convened, the party said.

"The DA-led coalition in the Tlokwe Municipality in Potchefstroom decided not to attend a special council meeting this morning [Friday] illegally convened by the speaker, Barei Segotso," North West DA leader Chris Hattingh said in a statement.

He alleged the meeting contravened the council's rules of order and the Municipal Structures Act.

A quorum of 50% of the councillors plus one was needed to call such a meeting. This condition was not met for Friday's meeting.

Tlokwe municipal spokesperson William Maphosa could not immediately comment on the claims that the meeting was convened illegally.


The ANC in the North West said earlier that a motion of no confidence in Tlokwe mayor Annette Combrink, of the DA, was on the meeting's agenda, but it would not be effected.

Service delivery issues
"While the motion appears as an agenda item in today's [Friday] council meeting, the ANC will not be acting on this matter today," spokesperson Kenny Morolong said in a statement.

Fourteen ANC councillors were expelled from the party in July for participating in a motion of no confidence in then Tlokwe mayor Maphetle Maphetle. He was replaced by Combrink.

The ANC's national disciplinary committee subsequently overturned the expulsions.

Hattingh said the DA had received no reply to letters written to Segotso about its concerns relating to the meeting.

He said no council meetings had been called for three months, despite a number of pressing service delivery issues which needed to be discussed.

"No other agenda point addressing delivery was on the agenda for [Friday's] special council meeting," Hattingh said.

Morolong said a motion of no confidence in Combrink would be delayed.

'Restore democracy'
"The inevitable removal of the mayor who ascended to the position through the subversion of democracy will only be effected after the conclusion of the outstanding by-elections."

The ANC retained control of two of three wards in Tlokwe by-elections on Wednesday.

The Electoral Court in Bloemfontein ordered on Tuesday evening that five of the nine by-elections in Tlokwe be postponed.

This was after the court heard an application by five independent candidates who were disqualified from taking part in the by-elections by the Independent Electoral Commission.

A sixth by-election, in Ward 13, was earlier postponed after an out-of-court settlement.

North West local government MEC Manketsi Tlhape said on Wednesday the date for the remaining by-elections would be announced once her office received the required documents from the IEC.

Morolong said: "The ANC reaffirms its unwavering resolve to restore democracy and the will of the people of Tlokwe, thus building on the foundation we have already laid to change the lives of our people for the better." – Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

Eusebius McKaiser: Reject the dichotomy of political horrors

Senekal shows us that we must make a stand against the loud voice of the populist EFF and racist rightwingers

The demon of cronyism in the public service must be crushed

When employees do not give their best, it is the organisation that suffers the most. In the case of government this directly affects citizens

Sitting targets and lame ducks

Everybody’s staying pozi, which is making all the arrests easy for the Hawks. Only Ace is desperate to be seen

ANC’s rogue deployees revealed

Despite 6 300 ANC cadres working in government, the party’s integrity committee has done little to deal with its accused members

South Africa requires a different vision than the ANC’s

In response to Ryno Geldenhuys’s piece Under Mbali Ntuli the DA would offer South Africans a new political home, published in the Mail & Guardian on 13 October

Under Mbali Ntuli the DA would offer South Africans a new political home

The KwaZulu-Natal MPL, who is running against John Steenhuisen for the post as party leader, embodies the hopes and dreams of the majority of citizens
Advertising

Subscribers only

SAA bailout raises more questions

As the government continues to grapple with the troubles facing the airline, it would do well to keep on eye on the impending Denel implosion

ANC’s rogue deployees revealed

Despite 6 300 ANC cadres working in government, the party’s integrity committee has done little to deal with its accused members

More top stories

Eastern Cape universities concerned by rising Covid cases

Fort Hare says 26 more students have tested positive while Walter Sisulu University says some of its students have been admitted to hospital.

SAA in talks to recoup R350-million in blocked funds...

The cash-strapped national carrier is in the process of recouping its blocked funds from Zimbabwe, which could go towards financing the airline’s business rescue plan

NSFAS’s woes do not help its mandate

Nehawu wants the scheme’s administrator, Randall Carolissen, to be removed

Unions cry foul over SABC dismissal costs and retrenchments

Broadcaster bodies say claims that a recent skills audit is unrelated to retrenchments are ‘irrational’
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday