To enjoy the full Mail & Guardian online experience: please upgrade your browser
22 Sep 2013 11:55
The death toll from a stand-off between security forces and al-Shabab militants at an upmarket mall in Nairobi, Kenya, has increased to 59.(REUTERS)
Fifty-nine people have been confirmed dead in an attack by Somali Islamist militants on a Nairobi shopping mall, Kenya's interior minister said Sunday.
"We still have hostages in the mall, and this makes the operation delicate. We have 59 people who have been killed so far," Joseph Ole Lenku said.
Ole Lenku said they believe the gunmen, who seized the Westgate mall on Saturday afternoon, are between 10 and 15.
Their identities are still being probed.
Security forces were still battling the gunmen, who belong Somalia's Al Qaeda-linked Shabab rebels.
Al-Shabab has claimed responsibility for the attack. –Sapa-AFP
Create Account | Lost Your Password?