Nkonyeni bags KZN education MEC position

KwaZulu-Natal provincial legislature speaker Peggy Nkonyeni has been appointed education MEC.

She was sworn in by KwaZulu-Natal Deputy Judge President Achmat Jappie at a brief ceremony in Durban on Monday.

She takes over from Senzo Mchunu, who was elected KwaZulu-Natal premier last month. Mchunu said the legislature would elect a new speaker on Tuesday. She is also the treasurer of the ANC in the province.

Nkonyeni, who trained as a secondary school teacher, served as health MEC from 2004 to 2009.

In June this year, evidence led in the Labour Court in Durban lifted the lid on "bribe clauses" in contracts, and the reckless spending and alleged cowboy approach to dispensing tenders for kickbacks at KwaZulu-Natal's health department, which contributed to the department. In one year it overspent its budget by an estimated R1.5-billion.


Testimony by the health department's former general manager for legal services, Prenitha Kantha Padayachee, has also reinforced the suspicions about why charges of fraud, corruption and racketeering against the department's former political head and then provincial health MEC, Nkonyeni, were dropped last year. Nkonyeni is known to be closely aligned with President Jacob Zuma.

'Under pressure'
Padayachee revealed that at a meeting in December 2007, when the department signed off on a deal with Intaka Technology for it to provide oxygen generating machines, Nkonyeni, who had been installed as provincial treasurer the previous year, had indicated to her that she was "under pressure to conclude" the deal to facilitate a "donation" from the company to the party.

Intaka is owned by Uruguayan businessperson Gaston Savoi, who is charged with bribing officials in KwaZulu-Natal and the Northern Cape for tenders worth more than R86-million.

In an interview with the Mail & Guardian in 2011, he said that he had donated about R3.6-million in separate payments to the ANC, including an amount of R1-million in 2007 into the party's KwaZulu-Natal coffers. According to Savoi, the payment was made to a Durban law firm at the request of Sipho Shabalala, then boss of the provincial treasury.

Nkonyeni, who was political head of the department when it overspent its budget by R1.5-billion in 2008, later denied Padayachee's claims in a press statement. – Additional reporting by Niren Tolsi

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

Jazz fest arrest ‘no coincidence’

Fraud charges against a top KwaZulu-Natal ANC official are linked to the party’s factional battles, insiders say

Eskom’s Matone to CCMA over ‘unfair suspension’

While deputy president Ramaphosa assures the country that the Eskom boardroom shenanigans "are not squabbles", Eskom's controversial chair stays put.

Sapa clarifies concerns over deletion of database stories

The South African Press Association has allayed fears over the mandatory deletion of its stories from its subscribers' archives.

Durban writer believes praise for Rushdie behind vicious attack

Durban writer Zainub Priya Dala believes she was assaulted for expressing admiration for controversial novelist Salman Rushdie, her publisher said.

DA argument on Mbete calling police is ‘extremist’

The DA's argument to overturn a parliamentary rule allowing Mbete to call police to remove MP's was "extremist", says senior counsel for Parliament.

Malema sequestration to be argued in June

The matter would be argued in June, and that it would give Sars and Julius Malema time to file all the necessary court papers.
Advertising

Ingonyama Trust Board moves to retrench staff

More than 50 workers at the Ingonyama Trust Board have been issued section 189 notices

No proof of Covid-19 reinfection, yet

Some people report testing positive for Covid-19 after initially having the disease and then testing negative. Scientists are still trying to understand if this means that reinfection is possible
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday