Mercedes-Benz to invest a further R3-billion in SA

Mercedes-Benz plans to push ahead with a R3-billion investment plan in South Africa that will see it increase local output to 100 000 units a year.

In an interview with Bloomberg news on Wednesday, the truck and luxury carmaker's South Africa chief executive Martin Zimmermann said the outlook for growth in Africa's biggest economy is "very positive", and the company will introduce new technology and a third shift to its local plant, which produces about 60 000 units a year at present.

"Mercedes's commitment to South Africa comes less than two weeks after Bayerische Motoren Werke AG [BMW], the world's largest maker of luxury vehicles, said it would stop expansion in South Africa after labour strikes that shut down plants in August and September cost it 13 000 cars in lost production," Bloomberg reported.

The carmaker's comments caused concern that unpredictable output, as a result of strike action, would see investors slowly move away from South Africa's vehicle manufacturing sector.

Also on Wednesday, the Ford Motor Company announced it had built its three-millionth unit in South Africa and reaffirmed its commitment to the country.


Investment
​Ford said it had been an active participant in the South African automotive industry since 1923, and has invested substantially in South Africa.

"For South Africans this translates into world-class training and the transfer of skills to the benefit of the country and its people. This up-skilling will also result in higher quality products produced at a lower cost," Ford said in a press release.

Jeff Nemeth, president and chief executive of Ford Motor Company of Southern Africa said the company produce around 370 vehicles a day and has invested R3.4-billion into South Africa in order to transform the company's local facilities to produce the Ford Ranger and Duratorq engine. Annual capacity has been increased at the Silverton assembly plant to 110 000 units with approximately 3 100 people employed in South Africa.

"Today we celebrated a huge milestone. As much as our heritage is American, we're South African too. We're one of the longest operating car manufacturing companies in South Africa, and this milestone speaks to our commitment to the local market," said Nemeth.

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

BMW X3 thrives in the M stable

The compact SUV is so at home with its new badge that’s it’s surprising it didn’t happen sooner

BMW M8 review: Ruthless aggression in a silk suit

Taking the German manufacturer’s new prized asset around the track is an outrageous experience

The case against Floyd Shivambu

The flow of money from VBS Bank would seem to suggest that the EFF’s second-in-command was an ultimate beneficiary of proceeds of a crime

The journalist who was shot in cold blood

Ahmed Divela was one of Ghana’s most fearless investigative journalists. This edited excerpt about his killing is from Faces of Assassination

To fight Covid-19, we must fight intellectual property, trade and investment rules

These restrictions must be overturned or ignored because they are limiting the production and importing of essential medical equipment such as ventilators

Dieselgate sees recall of Mercedes vehicles

Daimler is accused of hiding that it used illegal software in diesel cars to cheat emissions tests
Advertising

Subscribers only

Toxic power struggle hits public works

With infighting and allegations of corruption and poor planning, the department’s top management looks like a scene from ‘Survivor’

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

More top stories

Air pollution link in 15% of global Covid-19 deaths

Researchers have found that, because ambient fine particulate air pollution aggravates comorbidities, it could play a factor in coronavirus fatalities

Mboweni plans to freeze public sector wage increases for the...

The mid-term budget policy statement delivered by the finance minister proposes cutting all non-interest spending by R300-billion.

SAA to receive R10.5-billion government bailout after all

Several struggling state-owned entities received extra funds after the medium term budget policy speech

BMW X3 thrives in the M stable

The compact SUV is so at home with its new badge that’s it’s surprising it didn’t happen sooner
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday