Malawi’s Banda sent death threats over graft scandal

Malawi's President Joyce Banda received death threats since the uncovering of a high-level fraud scandal that forced her to dissolve the Cabinet, the country's information minister said.

"President Banda has been receiving death threats. Some of the threats have come from outside the country," Brown Mpinganjira told state radio on Monday.

He said police were investigating the threats.

On October 10, Banda dissolved her Cabinet over a graft scandal dubbed the Capital Hill cash-gate, where top official are suspected of swindling more than $3-million from state coffers.

"It all shows how serious the battle against fraud and corruption is," said Mpinganjira, referring to threats.


Two weeks ago, a budget director in the ministry of finance, Paul Mphwiyo, who had been investigating a fraud ring accused of siphoning millions of dollars from the state was shot outside his home.

Banda, who is the country's first female president, came to power in 2012 after the death of Bingu wa Mutharika.

Prosecutors estimate that as much as one-third of the impoverished country's revenue is lost to fraud and graft-linked payouts.

About 40% of Malawi's national budget comes from aid and some countries have repeatedly voiced concern over corruption.

The European Union has threatened to suspend aid to Malawi after the scandal and Norway has halted funds. – AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Covid-overflow hospital in ruins as SIU investigates

A high-level probe has begun into hundreds of millions of rand spent by the Gauteng health department to refurbish a hospital that is now seven months behind schedule – and lying empty

Q&A Sessions: ‘I should have fought harder for SA vaccine’...

Professor Salim Abdool Karim talks to Nicolene de Wee about his responsibility as head of the ministerial advisory committee tasked with guiding the government’s response to the Covid-19 pandemic.

More top stories

Children may benefit when parents share their digital gaming...

Digital games can provide forums for diverse groups of people to come together, which is especially important while our physical activities are restricted

‘No one took us seriously’: Black cops warned about racist...

Allegations of racism against the Capitol Police are nothing new: Over 250 Black cops have sued the department since 2001. Some of those former officers now say it’s no surprise white nationalists were able to storm the building

Pay-TV inquiry probes the Multichoice monopoly

Africa’s largest subscription television operator says it is under threat amid the emerging popularity of global platforms like Netflix and Amazon Prime

​No apology or comfort as another Marikana mother dies without...

Nomawethu Ma’Bhengu Sompeta, whose funeral will be held this weekend, was unequivocal in calling out the government for its response to the Marikana massacre
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…