Nelson Mandela’s bedroom ‘like an ICU ward’

Former president Nelson Mandela remains "quite ill" as he convalesces at his home in Houghton, his ex-wife Winnie Madikizela-Mandela told the Sunday Independent.

"The bedroom there [in Houghton] is like an ICU ward. He remains quite ill," she was quoted as saying in the newspaper.

Madikizela-Mandela said that Mandela had also lost the use of his voice because of tubes in his mouth to clear fluid off his lungs.

"Though the pneumonia has cleared, his lungs remain sensitive, hence the tubes."

She said this had left Mandela unable to speak.


"He communicates with the face, you see. But the doctors have told us they hope to recover his voice".

Madikizela-Mandela denied he was on life support.

"I have heard this nonsense that he is on life support. He is not."

She said 22 doctors were on the team attending to him.

Madikizela-Mandela said it was good for Mandela to be home "in an atmosphere he recognises".

"When he is very relaxed, he is fine and it has given us a lot of hope."

Madikizela-Mandela's comments come two weeks after African National Congress stalwart Tokyo Sexwale told the media Mandela did not consider himself ill.

"Madiba says of his health: 'I am not ill, I'm just old," Sexwale told reporters at the Nelson Mandela Foundation in Houghton at the time.

Earlier this year, Mandela spent almost three months in hospital for a recurring lung infection before being discharged on September 1 to continue treatment at home. – Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

ANC’s rotten apples on the chopping block

Now that the NEC has finalised its step-aside guidelines for those facing corruption charges, a swathe of officials will struggle to cling to their positions

Sisulu and Dlodlo punted to be on their way out

Because President Cyril Ramaphosa won the step-aside order in the ANC’s national executive committee, a cabinet reshuffle looms, with Sisulu and Dlodlo’s names on comrades’ lips

More top stories

Analysts expecting another attack ‘in the next few months’ in...

The extremist insurgency in Mozambique has been an ongoing threat since 2017. SADC needs to act now, say analysts

SIU probes how master of the high court fleeces the...

While the SIU delves into dozens of allegations of fraud, corruption and misconduct against officials at the master of the high court, many families have been left destitute after the death of their loved ones.

Barred neonatal visits hurt infants

Some nurses chose to ignore the no-visit rule, and now the health department has allowed mothers to feed their premature infants

SA will miss UN’s clean water targets

Mismanagement, pollution and a water deficit exacerbated by climate change are to blame
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…