Haddin lashes out at former Aussie coach Mickey Arthur

Australian wicketkeeper Brad Haddin on Tuesday said Mickey Arthur's successor, Darren Lehmann, has turned Australia's dressing room and demeanour around ahead of Thursday's first Ashes Test against England at the Gabba.

As England shoot for a fourth straight Ashes triumph, Haddin said South African Arthur has a lot to answer for.

"[Mickey] was very, very insecure and that came across in a lot of our selections and our plays, I think, to be perfectly honest," Haddin told reporters.

"I think [the brand of cricket we want to play] got lost in the period that Mickey had a hold of us. I don't think he understood and was secure enough in himself to get us to where we needed to go.

"Under Darren, we've got a clear message of where we want to go and how we're going to get there. He's able to help guys on the way to get to that point."


Watson controversially sent home
In a shambolic Test tour of India earlier this year, which Australia lost 4-0, Arthur disciplined Shane Watson, James Pattinson, Mitchell Johnson and Usman Khawaja for failing to submit feedback requested by team management.

They were axed, with Watson controversially sent home.

Haddin went to India as a replacement for injured wicketkeeper Matt Wade and described the mood within the Australian team as uncomfortable and paranoid.

"That wasn't the Australian cricket team that I knew when I flew into Mohali," he said.

"That was a unique situation, which in all seriousness I can't really explain. It was uncomfortable, walking into it. Guys jumping at shadows and the insecurity around everything that was being done.

"It's just refreshing to get back here now and enjoy the game for what it is – a great game that's been great for all of us."

Settlement with Cricket Australia
Arthur, who Lehmann replaced just 16 days before the first Ashes Test in the last series, reached a settlement with Cricket Australia after taking legal action against them when he was dumped with two years still to run on his contract. – AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Ithala fails to act against board chairperson over PPE scandal

Morar asked to settle with the state and pay back the profit he made on an irregular tender

Vodacom swindled out of more than R24m worth of iPhones

A former employee allegedly ran an intricate scam to steal 8700 phones from the cellular giant

More top stories

Judicial Conduct Committee orders Mogoeng to apologise for his remarks...

The JCC said that by the chief justice straying into politics, he breached the judicial conduct code and ordered him to issue an apology and retraction

Millers pay for duty-free wheat quota

The South African Revenue Services didn’t gazette the EU quota rates for about month, with no reasons given – and then suddenly published them

Austerity budget unpacked

The finance minister has said it’s not an austerity project. But the numbers and economists disagree

Will job creation schemes fix the unemployment crisis?

Experts say there is no evidence yet to show that government-funded employment schemes work long term
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…