Tongaat mall collapse: Culpable homicide case to be opened

A culpable homicide case will be opened after the collapse of a mall construction site in Tongaat, north of Durban, KwaZulu-Natal police said on Wednesday.

"We must now determine, through the investigation, whether there was negligence and who was responsible," Lieutenant Mandy Govender said.

A woman was killed when a football pitch-sized portion of the construction site collapsed on Tuesday afternoon.

The labour department had taken over the scene and was in charge of the entire operation. Police would remain on the scene, Govender said.


Three people remained unaccounted for, and it was possible that more people were trapped in the debris, she said earlier on Wednesday.

Netcare 911 spokesperson Chris Botha said that in addition to the single confirmed death, 29 people were hospitalised with various injuries.

NUM's concern
He said the search and rescue operation had been called off so the labour department could move some of the rubble with heavy machinery.

Labour department spokesperson Page Boikanyo said a delegation led by acting director general Sam Morotoba would visit the scene on Wednesday.

The department's deputy director general of inspection and enforcement services, Thobile Lamati, and Compensation Fund commissioner Shadrack Mkhonto would also visit the site.

Earlier, eThekwini deputy mayor Nomvuzo Shabalala said construction at the mall should not have been taking place.

"We took them [the contractors] to court a month ago. We thought they had stopped," she said.

The municipality had approached the court because the contractors had not followed processes. The municipality would hold a press conference at noon about the collapse.

The National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) said it was concerned about accidents in the construction industry. The union demanded a transparent investigation and that proper corrective action be taken, spokesperson PB Ngcobo said.

'Just a tip of the iceberg'
"The employer must answer to all allegations that they proceeded to build without approved plans. They must also answer as to why they defied the court order, as alleged by the eThekwini municipality."

The investigation needed to uncover how prevalent such actions were within the construction industry.

"Construction workers are of the belief that there is collaboration between the inspectors and the employers to hide the occurrence of accidents in the industry and what happened in oThongathi is just a tip of the iceberg."

NUM was worried that government authorities, such as the labour department's inspectorate, were not doing enough to prevent such accidents.

ANC KwaZulu-Natal spokesperson Senzo Mkhize said construction companies flouting building regulations should be blacklisted.

The party's condolences
"The ANC is appalled that this tragedy happened barely a month after the eThekwini municipality had ordered the construction to stop," he said.

"Had the company complied, surely this disaster could have been averted."

He extended the party's condolences to the family of the woman who was killed and wished the injured a speedy recovery. – Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

Tongaat mall plans rejected four times

Earthworks plans for the Tongaat Mall, outside Durban, which partially caved in last year, were rejected four times, heard a commission of inquiry.

Fatal Tongaat mall collapse caused by missing steel

Missing steel bars needed to reinforce a beam holding a concrete slab at the ill-fated Tongaat mall were missing, an inquiry has found.

Inquiry commission investigates Tongaat mall collapse

A commission of inquiry will begin investigating events leading to the collapse of the Tongaat mall, which killed one person and injured dozens.

‘Singh company’ in social housing row

Internal auditors condemn massive state funding 
given to builder linked to Tongaat mall collapse.

Metro considers forced demolition of Tongaat mall

Following the fatal, partial collapse of a mall in Tongaat, the eThekwini municipality is considering trying to force the demolition of the structure.

Editorial: Colluding at the expense of the poor

Was it a surprise that a half-built shopping mall collapsed in Tongaat? No. Could it have been avoided? Yes.
Advertising

Subscribers only

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

SAA bailout raises more questions

As the government continues to grapple with the troubles facing the airline, it would do well to keep on eye on the impending Denel implosion

More top stories

Hawks swoop down with more arrests in R1.4-billion corruption blitz

The spate of arrests for corruption continues apace in Gauteng and the Eastern Cape.

Catholic NGO boss accused of racism and abuse in Sudan

The aid worker allegedly called his security guard a ‘slave’

Agrizzi too ill to be treated at Bara?

The alleged crook’s “health emergency” — if that is what it is — shows up the flaws, either in our health system or in our leadership as a whole

SANDF hid R200m expenditure on ‘Covid’ drug it can’t use

Military health officials are puzzled by the defence department importing a drug that has not been approved for treating coronavirus symptoms from Cuba
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday