Fresh attack in Russia leaves many dead following suicide bombing

Ten people were killed on Monday in a blast on a trolleybus in the southern Russian city of Volgograd, a day after a deadly suicide bombing at the city's main train station, officials said.

"According to initial information, 10 people were killed and 10 were wounded" in the explosion, the spokesperson of the local branch of the emergencies ministry Irina Gogoleva told the Interfax news agency.

Reports said that the blast was so strong that the trolleybus – a common form of municipal transport in Russian cities – was completely destroyed.

Russian news agencies quoted unnamed local officials as saying that the blast was likely to have been an attack. "This is another act of terror, this time in a trolleybus," a investigative source told RIA Novosti.

Another source told the ITAR-TASS news agency that the blast could have been caused by a suicide bomber.

Sochi Olympic Games
A suicide bomber killed 17 people on Sunday in the attack on the train station of Volgograd, heightening security fears just six weeks before the Sochi Olympic Games.

The death toll from Sunday's attack rose to 17 from 16 overnight after another victim died in hospital of his wounds, the health ministry said. – AFP

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.


To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Mapisa-Nqakula ‘regrets confusion’ after contradictory statements on Khosa case

The minister’s media statement follows a letter from Khosa’s attorneys that they were considering a perjury charge or a complaint with the Public Protector

Capture claims plague new private-security bargaining council

Unhappy members of the National Bargaining Council for the Private Security Sector say corporate governance standards are being flouted

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday