Venus Williams’s battle to beat Czech competitor Hlavackova

Former world number one Venus Williams battled into the second round of the Auckland Classic on Monday with a 6-3, 7-6 (7/1) win over Czech wildcard Andrea Hlavackova.

The seven-time Grand Slam champion began confidently but could not dominate Hlavackova, ranked 134 in the world, even though she never looked like losing the match.

"I knew it was going to be tough and I was really glad to close it out," she said.

Williams, now ranked 47, is seeking to rejoin the game's elite after two years marred by auto-immune disease and injury,

At 33, she is the oldest player at the Auckland tournament, a warm-up event for next month's Australian Open.


The American, who won her last Grand Slam in 2008, produced a mixed display in her first match of the season, committing 43 unforced errors in the 98-minute clash.

But her trademark booming serve clicked straight into gear as she fired down four aces, with her vast experience showing as she closed out the second set tie-breaker 7-1.

Williams's next round
Williams will meet Austria's Yvonne Meusburger in the next round.

Earlier American Jamie Hampton, a semifinalist in Auckland last year, struggled to overcome Austrian wildcard Tamira Paszek 1-6, 6-0, 6-3.

"It's the first match of the season and we're all shaking off a bit of rust," the fifth-seeded Hampton said.

Austria's Yvonne Meusburger ousted German seventh seed Mona Barthel 6-4, 6-3, while Spain's Garbine Muguruza celebrated her return from a long injury lay-off with a straight sets win over American Christina McHale.

"I was six months injured, so for me this was a great win," she said after the 6-4, 6-3 victory. "I don't feel pain in the ankle so I'm happy."

Top seed Roberta Vinci of Italy and Serbia's Ana Ivanovic, seeded second, will contest their first-round matches on Tuesday. – Sapa-AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Ithala fails to act against board chairperson over PPE scandal

Morar asked to settle with the state and pay back the profit he made on an irregular tender

Vodacom swindled out of more than R24m worth of iPhones

A former employee allegedly ran an intricate scam to steal 8700 phones from the cellular giant

More top stories

Former GP health MEC Masuku calls disciplinary ‘unfair’

The ANC’s disciplinary hearing against Dr Bandile Masuku has started; however, the matter against Khusela Diko has been shelved after her husband’s death

‘Extreme’ tactics and lockdown buy rhino more time

The Rockwood Conservation reserve boasts zero poaching incidents in six years and its breeding project is successful, but costly

What is EFF’s party funding quest?

Its court application to force disclosure of donations to Cyril Ramaphosa may mask a bid to portray him as a capitalist puppet

North West premier in phone tapping claims

‘Agents’ working for Job Mokgoro allegedly tapped ANC and cabinet members’ phones
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…