DA march on ANC headquarters an ‘election stunt’

"The march will achieve absolutely nothing for the young workers on whose behalf they claim to be demonstrating," Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) spokesperson Patrick Craven said in a statement.

He said the DA always spoke for the rich and powerful, who dominated the country's economy.

Craven said the DA's policies were not in the interest of the poor or the worker and would make life worse for young, unemployed people.

'Fight for jobs'
On Wednesday, DA leader Helen Zille said she would lead 6 000 of her party's supporters in a march to Luthuli House in the Johannesburg CBD on February 4 to take the "fight for jobs" to the ANC.

She said each DA supporter would represent 1 000 unemployed people.


"We are taking the fight to Luthuli House to highlight the failure of [President] Jacob Zuma's ANC to cut corruption and create jobs."

Zille said the DA would expose the ANC manifesto pledge of creating six million job opportunities as "bogus".

Attack on the ANC
In response, ANC spokeperson Jackson Mthembu said the DA was provoking the ruling party.

On Thursday, the South African Communist Party described the march as an attack on the ANC.

"The … provocative march to Luthuli House should be viewed as a desperate action by an opposition party that has realised it does not stand to win elections," said spokesman Alex Mashilo.

'Direct provocation
The ANC Youth League warned the DA not to march to Luthuli House.

"[This] will be a direct provocation of more than 400 000 [youth league] members who will defend it at any time of the day," said national convenor Mzwandile Masina.

He said the DA would face the anger of youth league members and the Progressive Youth Alliance should it dare to march to Luthuli House. – Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Q&A Sessions: Marcia Mayaba —Driven to open doors for women

Marcia Mayaba has been in the motor industry for 24 years, donning hats that include receptionist, driver, fuel attendant, dealer principal and now chief...

The war on women in video game culture

Women and girls make up almost half of the gaming community but are hardly represented and face abuse in the industry

More top stories

Insecurity and Covid-19: Threats to electoral democracy in Africa

Restrictions to battle the pandemic offer ideal cover for authoritarian regimes to undermine and clamp down on opposition parties

Zondo authorises summons for Norma Mngoma after she withdraws from...

Mngoma cites personal concerns about the way her ‘proposed appearance’ had been ‘handled or mishandled’

Ace tries to widen net to catch all with revised...

Ace Magashule tells provinces to add those accused, but not charged, to step-aside list

South Africa temporarily halts J&J vaccine rollout plan

South Africa opts to voluntarily suspend its vaccination programme following advice from US health authorities after a rare blood clot development.
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…