Louca charged with Lolly Jackson’s murder

The Hawks believe they have a watertight case against Teazers strip-club boss Lolly Jackson's alleged killer, George Louca.

Hawks spokesperson Paul Ramaloko confirmed to the Mail & Guardian on Sunday that Louca was brought back to the country after a team comprising the South African Police Service's crime intelligence, the Interpol extradition team and the department of justice successfully repatriated him.

Ramaloko said Louca would appear before the Kempton Park Magistrate's Court on Monday on a charge of murder. He said police were busy taking a statement from Louca on Sunday ahead of his court appearance on Monday.

“I can confirm he is in the country and kept in police custody. We believe we have a watertight case against him. We are ready with our evidence. Remember it is over three years that we have been pushing for his repatriation. We have done [a comprehensive] investigation and we are convinced we have a strong case against him. As the accused, we are aware he has the right [to a] speedy trial,” said Ramaloko.

More arrests to follow? 
Ramaloko said police would decide, based on Louca's statement and what he tells the court on Monday, whether or not to make further arrests. He said they were convinced the case involved more than one person and that Louca's arrest would lead the police towards arresting other suspects.

Louca fled South Africa and returned to his hometown of Limassol, Cyprus, shortly after Jackson's murder in May 2010. 

He'd allegedly called Gauteng crime intelligence boss Joey Mabasa shortly after the crime, and confessed to killing the Teazers boss. 

In 2012, South African authorities began a process to have him extradited to the country, after he was detained by local police in Cyprus. 

Louca made several attempts to evade extradition but he failed when he lost his final appeal last year in the Cypriot Supreme Court.

'I didn't pull the trigger'
Last year, the Star reported about a voice recording of Louca, during which the Cypriot claimed he had not killed Jackson, but instead witnessed the murder.

"They [the police] know I didn't pull the trigger. How could I shoot him in my house? But I was there, I saw what happened. They forced me to pull him. They didn't know how to open the garage door, I did."

Louca reportedly felt his life was in danger as his brother, sister and child had all been threatened.

He claimed he'd called Gauteng crime intelligence boss Joey Mabasa – not to confess he killed Jackson as was reported, but to tell him who had. “I called the fucking police. I told Mabasa who killed Lolly. He organised for a meeting. He said come to harbour and all four were there. I saw them and I ran.”

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Matuma Letsoala
Guest Author

Related stories


press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday