Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Waterkloof Four to be released on parole

The so-called Waterkloof Four are due to be released on parole on Tuesday.

The correctional services department confirmed at the end of January the group would be released on parole in February.

"Legislation spells out that when an offender completes 50% of their jail term, they can be considered for parole on condition that they completed internal correctional programmes and are well behaved," said spokesperson Manelisi Wolela.

Reinach Tiedt, Gert van Schalkwyk, Christoff Becker, and Frikkie du Preez from Waterkloof were 15 when they committed the acts that led them to be convicted of the murder of an unknown black man and of assaulting another man in a field in Pretoria in 2001. They admitted the assault but have consistently denied killing the other, unidentified man. They were sentenced to 12 years each.

Last year, the high court in Pretoria ordered Tiedt and Van Schalkwyk back to Zonderwater Prison after they were released under correctional supervision. A full bench of judges set aside district magistrate Peet Johnson's ruling of December 15 2011 to convert the men's prison term to correctional supervision. An application had been brought by the minister and the correctional services department commissioner to set aside Johnson's order.

'Ongoing internal investigations'
Correctional services suspended the Zonderwater Prison parole board with immediate effect over its release of two.

"The suspensions relate to the ongoing internal investigations over the erroneous recommendation by the Zonderwater correctional supervision and parole board to convert the custodial sentences of convicted murderers Reinach Tiedt and Gert van Schalkwyk to correctional supervision," said spokesperson Phumlani Ximiya in a statement at the time.

Wolela said the four were well behaved and had completed internal programme. "We have very strict parole conditions, any deviation from those conditions may result in their parole being revoked."

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

R270m ‘housing heist’ bid deprives people of decent homes

After alleged attempts to loot Eastern Cape housing funds, 39 200 people in the province will continue to live in atrocious conditions

Cabinet reshuffle not on cards yet

There are calls for the president to act against ministers said to be responsible for the state’s slow response to the unrest, but his hands are tied

More top stories

R270m ‘housing heist’ bid deprives people of decent homes

After alleged attempts to loot Eastern Cape housing funds, 39 200 people in the province will continue to live in atrocious conditions

Stolen ammo poses security threat amid failure to protect high-risk...

A Durban depot container with 1.5-million rounds of ammunition may have been targeted, as others in the vicinity were left untouched, say security sources

Sierra Leoneans want a share of mining profits, or they...

The arrival of a Chinese gold mining company in Kono, a diamond-rich district in the east of Sierra Leone, had a devastating impact on the local community, cutting its water supply and threatening farmers’ livelihoods – and their attempts to seek justice have been frustrated at every turn

IEC to ask the courts to postpone local elections

The chairperson of the Electoral Commission of South Africa said the Moseneke inquiry found that the elections would not be free and fair if held in October
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×