Hundreds of illegal miners trapped underground

Rescue services are trying to reach more than 200 illegal miners reported trapped underground in an abandoned gold shaft near Benoni on the East Rand, an emergency services spokesperson said on Sunday.

Werner Vermaak of ER24 emergency services told Reuters that rescuers were communicating with a group of about 30 miners trapped by fallen boulders below the surface.

"They told us there are about 200 others trapped further below," Vermaak said.

Vermaak said "emergency services had been conducting operations around illegal mining in the area on Sunday when they heard the screaming from the abandoned mine", according to News24.com.– Reuters

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.


The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Reuters
Guest Author

Related stories

Advertising
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday